Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

RE: Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
Ok now Asjb... You're in France, Sleepster's in Texas -- the twain shall never meet. He meant no offense.

So how about let's just reset this discussion?

When last I checked in with you, I suggested you increase your minimum pressure just a little. Did you do that? What are your results looking like now? Please update us with your latest statistics and we can go from there.

The only thing any of us want around here is for all of us to succeed.
05-23-2015 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(05-23-2015 10:18 AM)Asjb Wrote:  
(05-23-2015 09:00 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(05-23-2015 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote:  Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.

Dear Sleepster,

You have clearly never met me. It would be accurate to say I have never <freaked out> about anything in my life...

It can be rather discouraging to ask something on this forum as a <newbie>.

I think I may not bother again.

Perhaps I should have instead said don't be disappointed because your AHI is a bit above 5.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-23-2015 03:02 PM
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus aka Facedigger
Humidifier: HumidAirâ„¢ with climate line
CPAP Pressure: Min EPAP 5 Max IPAP 13 PS 1-2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New, ASV Barbie, now with morning fart action.

Sex: Female

(05-20-2015 05:34 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  [quote='Asjb' pid='114236' dateline='1432147312']
...and if you haven't already, tell the ramp feature to go away.

I did that, and I have had two nights of 0.0. My min pressure is 5, and ramp was 4, so... yeah, exactly.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 08:22 PM by JVinNE.)
05-23-2015 08:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

@JV - your min 5 EPAP is like if I had a start pressure of 6, seeing that your PS=1. My machine type counts pressure by IPAP, and EPAP + PS = IPAP. Congrats on AHI of 0!

@ASJB - Sorry to hear you are still uncomfortable with the current level of well-being. As it happens, the AHI you are experiencing is also suboptimal. There are some patients consistently under AHI of 1 and still have unrested feelings and insomnia. It is safe to assume there is something else that is at play in those cases.

I have done many little adjustments that were intended to get me consistently below AHI of 5, but I have been only mildly successful. In my case, the feelings part worked out well, so I don't feel I need to hurry through the process. This week I had 4 nights under 5, and a weekly average of 4.82. Last week I had 3 nights under 5, and a weekly average of 5.07. Three weeks back I had 6 of 7 nights under 5 and an average of 2.54. So I am only about 60% successful.

I think there is high potential that PaytonA's comment may be more to the point in your case. Hypopnea (as the machines record it) seems to be directly related to flow reduction, not to obstruction. Why you have hypopnea is still in question. To me, the results you have shared suggest to me the hypopnea is an indication of non-OSA. For this reason, your idea of going to CPAP of 9 seems like a great place to start, or similar to the retired guy's suggestion - trying a band of 8 to 10 cmH2O with an EPR of 2.

A screen shot of a recent night with flow and pressure (and I would add FL flow limitations to it) would help us answer the great hypopnea question better.

Hope you soon gain the success in well-being you need and deserve.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015 11:42 AM by quiescence at last.)
05-24-2015 11:41 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(05-23-2015 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote:  Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.

I think Asjb's point is that the doc is not doing anything to try and improve the treatment. Asjb is still symptomatic and the AHI could stand some improvement so why (other than mental laziness) is the doctor not taking any action at all.
05-24-2015 03:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(05-24-2015 03:37 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  

I think Asjb's point is that the doc is not doing anything to try and improve the treatment. Asjb is still symptomatic and the AHI could stand some improvement so why (other than mental laziness) is the doctor not taking any action at all?

Oops. Sorry, guess I hit the wrong button.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015 03:42 PM by PaytonA.)
05-24-2015 03:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mild sleep apnea LGF1 6 449 09-26-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Mild Apnea:do I need mask Orangey 7 468 08-01-2016 11:00 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Question Newbie with Mild Sleep Apnea BeachyKeen 5 496 07-03-2016 08:38 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry? Asjb 12 1,038 06-04-2016 03:34 PM
Last Post: eviltim
  Mild Pulsing Effect on Exhale holden4th 4 669 05-19-2016 03:33 AM
Last Post: holden4th
Question Awake periodic breathing/ desats, otherwise healthy? (+sleep apnoea) Carbon 7 983 03-02-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: Carbon
Question Interesting Article on Sleep Apnoea Mutineer 7 866 02-12-2016 01:09 PM
Last Post: surferdude2