Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
RE: Has 'mild sleep apnoea' been redefined numerically?
You could set the minimum up 1/2 a point. Not anymore than that. See what happens. You might need to raise the max a little too, but not now. One thing at a time.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnoeas refer to a narrowing of the air passage, and the machine figures that out through various methods, depending on the manufacturer. While it means that less air is flowing efficiently into your lungs, you are still getting air and unless your sO2sats are dropping precipitously with hypopnoea events I would not sweat that figure so much. If you have a recording pulse-ox, then take a night's readings, hook it into the data for that night and see if you have any major desats during your hypopnoeas. My guess is that you will still be relatively high, over 90% and so there is not much risk of cardiac stress at those levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 08:18 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 12:04 PM)Asjb Wrote: I saw a new sleep doctor today (here in France) who told me that any AHI of less than 12 is now *not* sleep apnoea, even 'mild', so that no changes need to be made to my regime.

I thought 'mild' OSA was an AHI of 5-15?

Has anyone heard that is has been redefined, or was I told nonsense?

However, the diagnosis is based on your sleep study number(s), not what you are getting with therapy.

Sorry but I don't understand the reasoning - could you explain it further please?

If, for example, I had a another sleep study now but secretly! did it while using my CPAP - on my current treatment results I would have a test result AHI of 5-10, which would then be <diagnosed> as mild sleep apnoea.

I am of course very pleased that my AHI with CPAP is greatly reduced compared to my (real) diagnostic test, but I just think it would be a good idea to try and improve things even further and I do not understand why two different sleep doctors are not at all concerned. If I have to go to bed each night with a pump, hose and mask... I would much prefer that this treatment resulted in <no sleep apnoea> rather than <mild sleep apnoea>.

So surely that suggests that my current CPAP regime is sub-optimal?

Or have I misunderstood missed your point?

Post Reply Post Reply
There is no reason to think that an AHI of 5 means your CPAP therapy is effective, other than the fact that that's the threshold used to diagnose untreated patients.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 10:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There is no reason to think that an AHI of 5 means your CPAP therapy is effective, other than the fact that that's the threshold used to diagnose untreated patients.

Dear Sleepster,

OK, I take your point but, when taken together with my symptoms -
quote <Still tired and not very good sleep quality and increase in insomnia. Oxymetry results are acceptable>
which I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, why therefore are my AHIs on CPAP of 5-10 not relevant?

Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote: Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 09:00 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-23-2015, 04:21 AM)Asjb Wrote: Please could you explain why a first step to try and improve my continuing symptoms on CPAP treatment would not therefore be to start with trying to find a pressure setting that achieved an AHI of less than 5?

I agree that tweaking your pressure to try and get a lower AHI is the thing to do. That's what your doctor is doing. What I and others are saying is don't freak out because your AHI is a bit above 5.

Dear Sleepster,

You have clearly never met me. It would be accurate to say I have never <freaked out> about anything in my life...

It can be rather discouraging to ask something on this forum as a <newbie>.

I think I may not bother again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 10:18 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(05-23-2015, 09:00 AM)Sleepster Wrote:

Dear Sleepster,

You have clearly never met me. It would be accurate to say I have never <freaked out> about anything in my life...

It can be rather discouraging to ask something on this forum as a <newbie>.

I think I may not bother again.

Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

take a breath, this is the web, words can be misleading....

Storywizard....
[/quote]

Dear Storywizard,

I think the breath should rather be taken by someone before he or she writes misleading words!!

Might make for a more pleasant world...
Post Reply Post Reply

take a breath, this is the web, words can be misleading....

Storywizard....
[/quote]

Dear Storywizard,

I think the breath should rather be taken by someone before he or she writes misleading words!!

Might make for a more pleasant world...
[/quote]

Yes there is that, before we read and before we write or speak..

:-)

S

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,063 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 494 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mild OSA, fractured sleep - looking for advice rozlt 1 334 01-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 700 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
  Mild Clear Airway - Advice CharlieNow 16 1,302 11-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CharlieNow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.