Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has this happened to you?
Question 
Has this happened to you?
I woke up this morning about an hour earlier than normal and was surprised, maybe shocked, that I wasn't wearing the mask. I was befuddled to say the least as I have no recollection of removing it. I'm saw on the machine that I had the mask on for only 1.6 hours. Now I am new to CPAP as this was only my 22 night, but I've been sleeping well and have been enjoying the benefits of CPAP. Anyway, have any of you removed the mask without knowing it and woke up wondering what happened?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has this happened to you?
Not I. But, I'm sure others have done so.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum wmjstu53. Yes, that happened to me once. I have been on therapy 5 months. It happened to me well after the time when I was adjusting to therapy and the mask and was a surprise to me. It is strange to think we do something like that and are unaware of it. I use a nasal pillow and it has to be pulled out and over my nose to take it off. In your case with a FFM, it is a considerable maneuver taking that off and not knowing it. There are many others that have discussed doing the same in other threads. It isn't uncommon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wmjstu53,
I haven't done that yet, (but there is a first time for everything, (Ha-Ha) however, it is a pretty common thing.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't done this with my mask but last night I woke up with my right hand brace off and laying on my chest and I have no recollection of taking it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 09:08 AM)wmjstu53 Wrote: Anyway, have any of you removed the mask without knowing it and woke up wondering what happened?

Welcome hosehead! I'm relatively new to CPAP therapy too!

After a couple of weeks on the hose I had a dream where I believed therapy was no longer required and that I was no longer wearing a mask. I continued with that thought after waking with my mask firmly in place. There was a confusing few minutes where I had to work out what was going on. After solving the mystery I had a good laugh. Yup, I was still a hoser!
Post Reply Post Reply
I woke up this morning about an hour earlier than normal and was surprised, maybe shocked, that I wasn't wearing the mask. I was befuddled to say the least as I have no recollection of removing it.

Welcome to the forum wmjstu53. I've never done it yet ! doesn't mean I won't do it tonight . My Son did take his off a few times in the first month or so . You will stop doing it after a while as you get use to it . Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 09:08 AM)wmjstu53 Wrote: I woke up this morning about an hour earlier than normal and was surprised, maybe shocked, that I wasn't wearing the mask. I was befuddled to say the least as I have no recollection of removing it.
I've never woken up without the mask on. (Hubby has though)

But way back when during the First War on Insomnia there was a night where I took an Ambien. The next morning when I downloaded the data there were two mysterious gaps in the wave flow (but not the pressure graph or the leak graph) and in between them was a 20 minute period of VERY high leaks--as in my first ever Official Large Leak in Encore.

Near as I could figure out: I took my mask off in my sleep, but didn't turn the machine off and 20 minutes I put the mask back on in while still asleep but under the influence of the Ambien. While asleep, I put the mask on very very badly: I woke up later that morning to a rather large leak and fixed it and went back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't done anything like that with a mask but I did it with a night splint when I was new to using it. Found it across the room the next morning.
Not your ordinary Moe Schmoe
Post Reply Post Reply
In two months, I have awakened twice without my mask. Once it was a nasal pillow and once it was a full face mask. In both cases the CPAP shut down approximately 1/2 hour before I realized that the masks were off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 858 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 357 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  What Happened at 3 a.m.? dhamments 9 927 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dhamments
  first night taped. what happened? rogerncormier74 5 765 04-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] What happened between 04:40 - 05:00 ? edgnoj 10 1,300 01-20-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  What Happened? "Plots Disabled" clownbell 5 776 11-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  what happened to me at 2 am? eekamouse 10 1,182 09-02-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: eekamouse

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.