GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Hassels over getting a new DME supplier
I've been making phone calls back and forth between myself and the new DME supplier that I wanted to do business with. It seems that everytime you switch suppliers (which I've only done once in 7 years) it is like you are a brand new cpap patient and you have to prove everything they can possibly think of. I see the sleep doctor once a year because I am 100% compliant and so far have not had any major problems. My yearly appointment is not until October 2016 but the new DME still cannot send me any supplies until after the appointment. Sigh.......it is almost easier to buy online from one of the suppliers listed on this website rather than go through the hassel of trying to get insurance to pay for it. End of rant..................
08-25-2016 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

RE: Hassels over getting a new DME supplier
Your prescription is good for a year. They have no excuse. Contact the manager and ask why their PT is unaware that the state considers your prescription good for a year everywhere else but at a durable medical equipment provider? Your doc can send the script without a problem.

Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 04:27 PM by Mosquitobait.)
08-25-2016 04:25 PM
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Sex: Male
Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

(08-25-2016 04:25 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.

same nonsense is needed if using insurance co's too.. in most cases..

I've not tried online yet..

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
08-25-2016 05:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
bons Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics bipap ASV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: minIpap 5, minps 0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

It's annoying, for sure. I ended up waiting until I had a new sleep study to titrate a new ASV before switching. You don't need to see the doctor in order to get your supplies. The DME needs a copy of your sleep study. The DME needs to certify that you really do need the machine and supplies. You can request that your doctor send them one. You can also request that they send a prescription for the needed supplies if you do not have one.

My family medical doctor told me that she has to write a new prescription every time I need supplies. She refuses to allow refills on the script and specifies "ONE" mask, and "ONE" set of supplies. I order filters for my ASV online and also parts of masks instead of a complete one. But now that my out of pocket max has been reached for the year (unfortunately) I will ask my friendly and helpful GYN for a script when I see her in September so that I can get mask/filters/hose/humidifier for free and set them aside. Fortunately I"ll hit the six month spot since my last script in December so I can hit up the insurance company.
08-25-2016 05:32 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Yes, Medicare and DMEs are a pain. My DME didn't win the last round of competitive bidding; they can no longer send me supplies under Medicare.
I've contacted several DMEs who are on the winner's list -- they want all that data plus Rx. They expect me to get the information to them.
Not this cowboy. I'm buying online from whomever has the best price. I have my Rx in hand; so, I'm legal on my end.

Attention DMEs: If you want my business, you have to contact my doctor and get the required paperwork.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-25-2016 05:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(08-25-2016 04:25 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Your prescription is good for a year. They have no excuse. Contact the manager and ask why their PT is unaware that the state considers your prescription good for a year everywhere else but at a durable medical equipment provider? Your doc can send the script without a problem.

Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.

The 'new' DME that I would like to get supplies from has everything that they asked for except the doc notes. They are claiming since the last doc notes are from Sep 2015 that makes the most recent notes almost a year old and definitely over a year old by the time of my next sleep doctor appointment. Never mind that the sleep doctor is in high demand and I've already waited 6 months just to get an appointment with him in Oct 2016. I give up. My late Father once told me "sometimes you just can't fight city hall." Oh-jeez
08-26-2016 05:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Changing Medicare Supplier when Moving jrh0 4 352 09-03-2016 01:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP Buy out from equipment supplier help khafer 11 561 09-03-2016 01:38 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Supplier requires new prescription to test my machine?? Rgbeard75 7 876 07-17-2016 10:46 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Will DME Supplier provide different Mask as Replacement Supplies photosmike 8 591 06-09-2016 03:24 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Medical Supplier Follow Up Visit Zeeez 5 840 05-26-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: AndyB
  question about one supplier who is not on the list kowlooner 7 676 05-16-2016 04:20 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Find a Good Medical Supplier Zeeez 4 624 02-27-2016 10:34 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait