Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hate my CPAP!
RE: Hate my CPAP!
You are still adapting to the therapy, and for some of us, it takes longer than others. I think you may add 1-cm to your minimum pressure, but you should feel free to stay with current settings for a week before making any changes. Be assured at least half of the events you experienced last night will just go away on their own as you adapt. Dizziness may be the need to adapt to the higher pressure (inner ear), or just a bit of over-ventilation. Again, I would avoid changes and see if this is a continuing problem or not. Limiting maximum pressure to 11.0 may also be acceptable.

As you first go to bed, I notice you are using ramp, and this is causing you to breath deeply until the pressure catches up to your needs. Look at your flow chart and how large in amplitude the breathing is. I would increase the minimum ramp pressure so you are more comfortable and get the air you need as you first go to bed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ramped because the pressure at 7 felt too hard to breathe against while I was still awake. Could I maybe just shorten the ramp time from 20 minutes to 5 minutes?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure! A shorter ramp should help, but you could simply increase the minimum from 4 to 5 or 6 cm. It doesn't have to be full minimum pressure, just use what is comfortable and tolerable, and for the time you feel you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider: What about the Aflex setting? Might that be inducing some CAs?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Individual response to A-Flex is really unpredictable. Some people, we really see better results without it, and in others it doesn't seem to make much difference. I actually think what is being marked as CA here, could be more obstructive. We would have to look closer at the flow rate line to pin it down. I rarely hesitate to ask for A-Flex or EPR to be turned off or down to eliminate it as a possibility. We have seen some people clear up events of all kinds remarkably by doing that. We have also had some try straight CPAP pressure to calm things down...in this case that would be 9.5-10.0. It's trial and error, and hopefully we find something that works and is comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I don't know all the lingo. CA? Is that clear airway? I thought that was a good thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Having a clear airway is good but having a clear airway event means that you stopped breathing for 10 or more seconds even though your airway was clear. it is just a different type of apnea and requires a different treatment. A few clear airway events or central apneas is nothing to be concerned about and CA events are no more alarming than OA events-just different.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Central apnea? That's where my brain doesn't tell my lungs to breathe, right? Oh great. Now I'm going to panic every time I go to sleep, because I know that happens when I'm awake too, but I notice and consciously take a breath. When I'm asleep I can't make myself do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't panic; you will breathe again, and the recovery from a central is gentler than the gasping jolt from an obstructive.

And best of all, your machine will tell you what happened so that you can take corrective action.
Post Reply Post Reply
I struggled for a year or more.  Because I was a mount breather, I was never given the option for a pillows mask.  However, full-face masks never fit.  I finally went to an ultra-light P10 and a piece of medical tape placed vertically to keep my mouth shut each night.  That certainly worked more for me. 

Regarding settings, I'm not sure many people are getting by with 5 or even 7 as any kind of inhale pressure.  That's generalizing of course. As everyone has been saying, the data is everything.  If you're feeling really tired during the day, something isn't working well either with pressure or air escaping. 

Lastly, I hope you're being careful about alcohol use and not overdoing it on caffeine each day in an effort to survive the day.  Try not to eat a lot within a few hours of bedtime -- of the wrong foods anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] So far I hate CPAP mindyb01 5 399 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: rogerded1
  Man, I hate leaks...even small ones David Clark 9 1,069 07-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why the “hate” on the ramp feature? Kmar13 19 3,674 03-12-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: martyedb
  Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns! cathyf 29 3,413 08-07-2021, 10:58 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [Equipment] I Hate My AirSense JoeInOhio 13 2,060 02-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Last Post: JoeInOhio
  I hate my P10 so I'm switching back to the Wisp kdmorris410 21 6,597 01-31-2020, 08:47 PM
Last Post: old82
Surprised Night 8, it's already Love - Hate. So glad I found you guys! FE350 148 13,295 01-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.