Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Have I damaged my mask seal
Have I damaged my mask seal
This weekend when I was cleaning my mask, the cushions felt very oily so I gave it quite a wipe down in warm water with dish-washing liquid.
The problem is that when the cushions dried it now feels smooth and has caused lots of problems with leakage over the last 2 nights.

Have I damaged the the mask seal, or is there something I can rub on the cushions to make it 'sticky' again and ensure that it seals properly again?

I have only had this mask for 5 weeks and really do not want to have to buy new parts already.

Any advice? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have I damaged my mask seal
It is recommended to hand wash the mask gently in pure soap and warm water to remove facial oil which can cause the cushion to wear out and affect mask seal. Follow your mask user guide cleaning instruction.
Mask can last long time if not damaged and only have to replace the cushion and the straps every so often as needed. Some folk here reported that a mask liner such as RemZzzs or Pad A Cheek helps with mask seal. Its counter productive to over tighten the mask as the cushion get squashed ....masks are designed to be worn loosely so the cushion float on your face.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi F4tC4t, WELCOME! to the forum.! I just use a little bit of dishsoap in warm water but I just soak my parts, I don't scrub them. Once in a while, I use a toothbrush to clean the exhalation port but that it. I wouldn't use soap that you put into a dishwasher because it is pretty strong. A good alternative to dishsoap is baby shampoo because it is very mild and at the same time, gets the job done.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
F4,

I have had the same experience. The silicon skirt seems to work better when it "sticks" to your skin a little. Right after cleaning, which is a good thing, the silicon will lift and roll easier and leak.

As far as a solution, I've put a little water on the mask skirt and that helps, but really just getting some more oil from your skin seems to be the best thing. I've gotten in the habit of just filling the sink a little and "sloshing" the mask to clean it daily. It doesn't remove all the oil but keeps it from getting too dry.

By the way, make sure the soap you're using is mild, no antibacterial, scents, or oils.

Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies.

jdireton: I will try the water trick as you suggested tonight. Hopefully it will make it sticky enough to return to normal.

The leakage is not too serious as to cause major problems with the treatment, but I now find that I have leakage under the chin making a hissing noise which wakes me up and also getting some buzzing on my cheeks that was not there before. This buzzing has caused me to dream that this was part of my normal breathing and I could not figure out how to stop making that noise while I was trying to hide from someone (almost a nightmare :grin: ).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 333 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
  F/P Vitera Mask seal problem bryank1 8 989 10-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  0/20 mask seal scores... please help! 1978 7 1,979 05-21-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 Water Chamber INLET Seal lcfield 5 2,229 03-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: lcfield
  Experience about the the Evora FFM seal ? Albatros 3 816 03-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: nmwhitneyjr
  Trouble Getting Good Mask Seal Pole 5 867 03-01-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.