Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Have I found a solution for full face mask users?
Idea 
I'm using CPAP about 30 years, always using a nasal mask. Last night I noticed that when I open my mouth, no air leaking from my mouth, even it is open sometimes. No, I don't have any physical problem. The reason is because during the 30 years without intention, I got used to sleeping with my tongue edge touching my palate near the upper teeth. This is blocking and prevent the air leaking.
I'm not a doctor, just a CPAP user, but maybe this post can give a hint and helps the full mask users, Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have I found a solution for full face mask users?
Sorry to disappoint you, but old news.  Too-funny

Great that you have discovered you can do it though.. the rest of us have had to train ourselves by various methods.  Oh-jeez

One technique is to hold water in your mouth and practice breathing through your nose ( not while you are asleep of course  Laugh-a-lot  )

Another is to do as you described by holding your tongue against the roof of your mouth, then breath in and out through your nose while your mouth is open.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
We'll give you a few Apnea Board virtual coffee tokens for the effort. Congrats on conquering the tongue suck seal method. I haven't passed that test yet, so I don't get the coffee points. To compensate, during AB meetings I drink the whole pot of coffee.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To those clowns, “They had learned nothing and forgotten nothing.”

My post includes opinion based upon my experience and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2020, 03:30 AM)avis Wrote: Have I found a solution for full face mask users?
I'm using CPAP about 30 years, always using a nasal mask. Last night I noticed that when I open my mouth, no air leaking from my mouth, even it is open sometimes. No, I don't have any physical problem. The reason is because during the 30 years without intention, I got used to sleeping with my tongue edge touching my palate near the upper teeth. This is blocking and prevent the air leaking.
I'm not a doctor, just a CPAP user, but maybe this post can give a hint and helps the full mask users, Good luck!

Thank you for sharing avis  Smile
This is what we call the Tongue Suck Technique, and is something I read about here when I first joined.  I've often recommended folk try this, and is worth the effort if you can master it.  

I adapted to this quite fast, as it seemed normal to me.  I have always been able to open my mouth with my mask on (I use a nasal pillow mask), and no air will escape.  I can also talk quite easily while cpap is on with no air escaping.  

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose

With your permission I'm going to copy your full post as is, to my Israeli main forum CPAP.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2020, 04:02 AM)avis Wrote: Thank you OpalRose

With your permission I'm going to copy your full post as is, to my Israeli main forum CPAP.  

Sure, that's ok with me. Hope it helps others.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
avis,

Thanks for posting the advice. People arrive here at different points in their journey. It is always good to share ideas or solutions regardless of the timing. Hopefully someone will find your post and it will be of benefit in their journey.

Good job!

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried this method for months and still wake up with air blowing out of my mouth and my mouth is so dry my tongue is stuck to my mouth. I am about ready to give up on CPAP.

Sorry...I don't have a full face mask....posted this in the wrong place.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ability to block air from the mouth is central to using nasal therapy effectively and comfortably. I keep a "Bubba Cup" of ice water with a straw in it next to bed at night. Last night I was thirsty and rolled over to sip a drink while not breaking therapy. So you can not only open your mouth, you can talk and drink under pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,120 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 518 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,597 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 247 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.