Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Have brand new CPAP but now think I made not need
RE: Have brand new CPAP but now think I made not need
(06-26-2016, 05:01 PM)vsheline Wrote: Hi cpap4uars,

When we first start using CPAP it often helps to use the max A-Flex (3). But after a couple weeks our breathing muscles will get stronger and we may not need as much exhalation pressure relief.

An A-Flex setting of 3 gives the max exhalation pressure relief, but during inhalation (which is when we have the Flow Limitations which can cause RERAs) the pressure also drops earlier if using an A-Flex of 3.

After the first couple weeks of CPAP use, if we have UARS it may be more comfortable to have the high inhalation pressure last longer, which it will do if we are using an A-Flex setting of 1.

ResMed EPR doesn't act the same; with ResMed the high inhalation pressure lasts until we start breathing out. But on Philips Respironics machines the high inhalation pressure starts dropping the earliest with max A-Flex, before we have completely finished inhaling, and starts dropping the latest with an A-Flex of 1 (not off).

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn,

All this information is very helpful. I'm impressed by how knowledgeable all the members here are! I am willing to bet a lot of you know wayyyyy more than the doctors do!
Post Reply Post Reply
That was my experience. When I first started, exhaling against the pressure (insignificant now but brand new to me then) was a challenge. Flex helped my comfort and acclimatization. Three months later, I remembered to turn it off completely as I no longer needed it and wanted the pressure to be consistently high.

Don't be afraid to make the adjustments you need to get used to this therapy. Once it becomes normal and natural, you can focus on tuning the benefits.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 12:40 AM)chill Wrote: That was my experience. When I first started, exhaling against the pressure (insignificant now but brand new to me then) was a challenge. Flex helped my comfort and acclimatization. Three months later, I remembered to turn it off completely as I no longer needed it and wanted the pressure to be consistently high.

Don't be afraid to make the adjustments you need to get used to this therapy. Once it becomes normal and natural, you can focus on tuning the benefits.

Yep, the very first time I put it on (and the pressure was 4), I was like holy mackerel, that's a lot of pressure, and felt it pushing on my ears. Now, after using it a few times, that pressure is basically nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, give it time. Small, careful steps will help you reach your goal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,508 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 407 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Made a few tweaks , trying to analyze FordGuy84 0 386 06-05-2023, 04:16 PM
Last Post: FordGuy84
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 584 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 460 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.