Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Have given up - need help
Have given up - need help
Have been on machine, a Philips Restpironics Dreamstation, for 15 months now.  Started out not so good, but started working well later on...got my AHI numbers down around the 5 area quite consistently, and sometimes down to between 3 and 4.  But since about May, the numbers have shot up and stayed there.  They are now consistently around 10 to 12.  The major difference in my life is the diet my doc put me on, and since May have lost 15 - 17 pounds.  My weight now is 155. 

I am a rookie at this, and understand very little about it.  The place I purchased the machine is of little help....basically the consistent answer is there is no science to this thing, just a lot of variables in ones life/body, and just be happy the numbers are where they are at, as without it, you would be so much worse off.

I find it hard to accept that, as I felt so much better when my numbers were around 5, and would like to be back there.

Any thoughts/suggestions for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have given up - need help
I'm sure we can help, but we will need data.

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your charts
Attach the screenshot

how to is in my signature

Also post a copy of any Sleep Studies you have had, the full copy, not just the summary.

This will tell us what is going on and then we can suggest an action to move forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clapodie,

If you haven't got Sleepyhead yet, I would suggest you get a copy from the menu. After installing it, use your SD card from your xPAP to transfer sleep data onto Sleepyhead, then create a post within this thread so the team can view what is going on while you're sleeping. Data equals knowing what is happening while you sleep, a necessary thing to indicate to both you and the rest of us what can be optimized on your therapy to make it work better for you.

If you're up to the task, try the following link on how to do the above. There are several Sleepyhead areas you can follow via this link: CLICK HERE.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi clapodie,

I could suggest a few things, but the advice above is good, get Sleepyhead and get some charts up so we can see what is going on.
I hate it when a Sleep Clinic/doctor say there is a lot of variables and to just accept it.
You don't have to accept it, you can get better results, but you need to have to know what is going on.
Maybe you can answer it yourself if you think through what has changed?  Weight loss will change thing sometimes quite a lot and sometimes if you are like me not a bit.  Something has changed and you need to know what is going on, so follow the advice and get Sleepyhead and post some of your charts of data so we can advise you what we think is the best.  You don't have to follow the advice, but we try to help.
Is it all Obstructive Apneas you are getting or is it mixed?
If it is mixed and complicated, you might even have the wrong machine.

Get Sleepyhead and see what is going on.

All the best.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.