Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Have you SEEN the doctor (at all)?
RE: Have you SEEN the doctor (at all)?
Hi toadius,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I never saw a sleep doc, i went through my regular dock to get my sleep studies.
I wish you and your wife good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had three sleep doctors during my time with sleep apnea.  The first one, I saw yearly for about ten years; the second one was a horses-a**, who after a couple of years finally drove me to find another.  This last one understands that I'll contact him if I start having issues or when I need a script for a new machine.  Rolleyes

PS. I do not recommend trying to give yourself an insulin injection while typing. I just bounced the insulin pen three times before getting it into my stomach.   Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I've seen my sleep dr 3 times thus far: at the follow-up from my 1st sleep study, at my follow-up from my titrated sleep study, and at my 1 month CPAP follow-up. He was as convincing of a dr as a girl working at an ear-piercing shop at the mall.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never actually saw my sleep doctor - just had one terse phone conversation as to why he had diagnosed me with obstructive apnea when over half my events were central.

On the other hand I had a brilliant therapist who helped me through three different machines (and many masks) before we settled on the VPAP Adapt. If we'd just gone with the doctor's diagnosis I would have been stuck with a fixed pressure CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 10:58 PM)PollCat Wrote: I've had three sleep doctors during my time with sleep apnea.  The first one, I saw yearly for about ten years; the second one was a horses-a**, who after a couple of years finally drove me to find another.  This last one understands that I'll contact him if I start having issues or when I need a script for a new machine.  Rolleyes

PS. I do not recommend trying to give yourself an insulin injection while typing. I just bounced the insulin pen three times before getting it into my stomach.   Oh-jeez

We have a government run monopoly healthcare system, which appears to be run more for the benefit of the employees rather than their victims, bit like as you would expect in East Germany a few years back.

Obviously complaining is frowned upon, boy have I tried, options to see an alternative medic of any sort are severely limited, and you name goes on "The List!"

You had the horses-a** I believe I got his twin brother.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm seriously considering not even having a sleep doctor.

Mine retired several months, and I haven't been to another since. I have a good DME supplier, a good machine (my former doc finally decided to prescribe a good machine (Resp. bipap), I use Sleepyhead to monitor my progress and I've been doing my own therapy for about 14 years now. I have averaged an AHI of .88 for several months now.

I have a good PCP, a urologist, a heart doc, a dermatologist, a dentist, and get all the attention I need.

So..... the only thing I can think of is:  I may need one to prescribe something now and then to help me sleep.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day packtheknife. It sounds like you've got it all sorted. As I understand the situation in the States just about any medical professional can write the prescription for you. All things being equal I'd go through the GP, as s/he is likely to have the best overview of your total health status.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some DME's require an annual prescription renewal for supplies. As long as you can get one of your doctors to do that, you're sleeping okay, and monitoring your own therapy, I see no need for a sleep doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When it comes to my current pulmonary doctor, I had better care when I had an urgent need and was seen by the nurse rather than the doc. In other specialty needs such as my back, I have seen the PA-C rather than an actual doctor. No complaints, just that's how it is at this facility. He has been very good at directing my back injury. I will likely transfer pulmonary care needs to that same health facility after getting things finalized with the ASV I "should" be getting soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I left the sleep clinic because I felt that serious issues should be addressed by the doctor, not the PA, not the NP. They are certainly fine if you aren't having problems. Issuing medications without discussion the side effects or long term side effects? No way. Anyway, if I need more care in this area (my primary is writing the scripts for supplies), I have two other sleep clinics to find out about. Eventually, I will need to find a new one as my primary will retire and the general physicians at the clinic won't write scripts for machine replacements.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,729 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 792 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 899 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.