Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: VIRUS ALERT JULY 9TH, 2012]
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Exclaimation Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: VIRUS ALERT JULY 9TH, 2012]
SuperSleeper Wrote:
Note from Admin:
Please read Bob's note below. If your system is infected, you will LOSE ALL INTERNET connectivity at 12 midnight tonight (July 8). Since this affects PCs, and your possible access to the Internet (including Apnea Board), I felt this was relevant enough to be moved to the Main Forum. -SuperSleeper.

[Image: warning.gif]

The FBI is warning all computer users to check their machines for the DNSChanger virus.

From CNET: "If your computer is infected with the DNSChanger virus, your summertime Internet activities will be seriously curtailed -- as in buh-bye. But a special Web site can help you fix the problem."

http://www.dcwg.org will provide you with the necessary instructions for checking your computers.

SuperSleeper Wrote:Added by SuperSleeper:

Here's a link to the official FBI site to check for this virus:

https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-yo...-rogue-DNS

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-21-2012 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

RE: Have you heeded the FBI's Warning?
(04-21-2012 09:56 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:  The FBI is warning all computer users to check their machines for the DNSChanger virus.

From CNET: "If your computer is infected with the DNSChanger virus, your summertime Internet activities will be seriously curtailed -- as in buh-bye. But a special Web site can help you fix the problem."

http://www.dcwg.org will provide you with the necessary instructions for checking your computers.

Yep, I was going to post a note about this also... it appears to be a legitimate issue that could affect several thousand computers.

From what I understand, it affects Windows computers only. The above website leads to links where you can check to see if your system has the virus... took me about 1 minute to check my Windows system.

Thanks Bob.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-21-2012 10:10 AM
PollCat Offline
Monitors

The website also gives directions for testing iMac OS X machines, too.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-21-2012 10:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(04-21-2012 10:12 AM)bobg1946 Wrote:  The website also gives directions for testing iMac OS X machines, too.

Okay, thanks... didn't know that. I'm using Linux for nearly everything these days, and from what I understand, the virus doesn't affect Linux OS's. But just to make sure, I went to the above website and check and it seems my Linux box is clear of the virus.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-21-2012 10:14 AM
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

RE: Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: PLEASE READ]
all of mine check out ok. i sent it out to my e-mail list. in the next 5 years it will go around the world 500 times and you will see if no less than 50 times.

thank you for this.
04-21-2012 11:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Doesn't microsoft security virus checks is enough or one need to check DNSChanger virus as well
04-21-2012 03:52 PM
PollCat Offline
Monitors

(04-21-2012 03:52 PM)zonk Wrote:  Doesn't microsoft security virus checks is enough or one need to check DNSChanger virus as well

This virus attacks your network DNS settings. It can't hurt to check your machine, and it only takes about 1 minute to perform the check.

04-21-2012 04:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

no one needs to check it, but it only takes a second to click and find out, so it makes good sense. i use 4 different security programs and never have a problem. matter of fact i can't remember the last time i had a security problem on any of the computers. but i clicked this link on every computer just to be sure.
04-21-2012 04:05 PM
pk6301 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System One Model 550
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 6-20

Other Comments: cms 50D Plus

I ran it on mine and got the green light Dancing It only took less than a minute to run..

Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012 04:43 PM by pk6301.)
04-21-2012 04:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

For those of you who haven't a clue about this, I looked it up.

The DNSChanger virus/malware has been around for a while. It's not the only one capable of it, it's just the most prevalent.

As a way to counter-act it, the FBI has had a series of servers that have watched for it and acted against it. However, due to funding, those servers are being shut down in July. (Google "Operation Ghost Click")

Meanwhile, they are just now starting the arrests and charges against the idiots who started it.

There's several of these things out but DNSChanger seems to be the most active. There's websites that will check your DNS number for validity. I was skeptical at first so I checked it all out before I clicked away.

Your computer has an IP address of its very own. Each computer, cell phone, tablet, whatever that connects to the 'net has it's own IP address. Sometimes that address changes but that's another topic. Consider the IP address to be a phone number and only that device has that number. Each website also has an IP number.

DNS is Domain Name System and you can consider it to be the phone book. Basically, you type in apneaboard.com (it's domain name) but in the magic of the internet, that text is translated to the IP address, located, and you are connected to the website. There's a lot of other steps in there and it is amazing it all happens as fast as it does. It is a delicate balance of domain names, servers, internet providers, your computer, and other stuff.

Quote:The group that created Zlob have also created a Mac trojan with similar behaviours (named RSPlug). Some variants of the Zlob family, like the so-called "DNSChanger", add rogue DNS name servers to the registry of Windows-based computers and attempt to hack into any detected router to change the DNS settings and therefore could potentially re-route traffic from legitimate web sites to other suspicious web sites.

The way to avoid these things? Don't download stuff you are not sure of the source. Most of these were delivered via downloaded video which gave a pop up warning of a virus which had you click a button. Instead of fixing this fake virus, it gave you a real one. Ironic, isn't it?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-21-2012 07:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Doesn't everyone have a 4th of July? AlanE 6 682 07-05-2015 08:42 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  December 21, 2012 archangle 4 723 12-21-2014 12:34 PM
Last Post: me50
  [News] Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered ApneaNews 3 784 11-10-2014 04:59 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
Question Medical Alert Bracelet with Link to Medical History/Info MAPnea 12 2,956 02-26-2014 09:53 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming] worthog 8 3,718 11-19-2012 12:54 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation Godaddy sites all DOWN... DNS issues [Sept 10, 2012] SuperSleeper 12 4,479 10-05-2012 07:44 AM
Last Post: Duckdog58
  I have a warning percent spot kitley 6 2,487 08-26-2012 02:40 PM
Last Post: lonnieb