Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you paid your sleep debt yet?
This poll is closed.
Yes
15.91%
7 15.91%
No
38.64%
17 38.64%
Not sure
27.27%
12 27.27%
Whats sleep debt
18.18%
8 18.18%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Have you paid your sleep debt yet?
RE: Have you paid your sleep debt yet?
(08-17-2012, 10:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You do want to avoid sitting in front of a monitor in the evening before bedtime. Like I'm doing right now. Oops!

But seriously, if you do have insomnia the light from the monitor tells your brain it's not time for sleep. Part of good sleep hygiene is paying attention to the amount of light entering your eyes. Low light levels tell the brain that it's sleep time. High light levels tell the brain that it wake time.

I usually wake up a couple of times during the night...but try to avoid any light. We do have nightlights in the house so I can safely navigate to the bathroom without turning on a light...and I typically am able to get back to sleep.

Most people read before bed...a good book will keep me awake, LOL...so I play mind numbing easy games on my iPad til I fall asleep.

Liz

Post Reply Post Reply
The concept of Sleep Debt is interesting in that it is impossible to 'bank' sleep in advance.

I seem to need about 6 hours a night and if I go back to sleep to try to get some more after initially waking up I have very bad quality sleep for that hour or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we can bank sleep in advance. After a long vacation I have a store and do not feel sleep deprived for the next few weeks. On the other hand, if I travel on my vacation I have just the opposite. A sleep debt that takes a few nights to pay back. Sometimes more.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the national debt in the USA, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay off my sleep debt. Having had poor sleep for many years has taken its toll on my health, aging process, quality of life, mood, productivity, etc. Repaying the sleep debt can't turn back the clock on all of those years of lost productivity nor fully my health and lost opportunities, even though it can help slow deterioration as I try to move forward with my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 09:31 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Like the national debt in the USA, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay off my sleep debt. Having had poor sleep for many years has taken its toll on my health, aging process, quality of life, mood, productivity, etc. Repaying the sleep debt can't turn back the clock on all of those years of lost productivity nor fully my health and lost opportunities, even though it can help slow deterioration as I try to move forward with my life.

Ah I feel the same way. However, there's new hope that the future will be better than it would have been if I had never been diagnosed. I was developing a plethora of problems, and though i don't expect the wrinkles to go away, I'm hoping some of the other issues will. Since getting the CPAP I've had the best blood pressure readings I've had in years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 09:37 AM)eaglett1111 Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 09:31 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Like the national debt in the USA, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay off my sleep debt. Having had poor sleep for many years has taken its toll on my health, aging process, quality of life, mood, productivity, etc. Repaying the sleep debt can't turn back the clock on all of those years of lost productivity nor fully my health and lost opportunities, even though it can help slow deterioration as I try to move forward with my life.

Ah I feel the same way. However, there's new hope that the future will be better than it would have been if I had never been diagnosed. I was developing a plethora of problems, and though i don't expect the wrinkles to go away, I'm hoping some of the other issues will. Since getting the CPAP I've had the best blood pressure readings I've had in years.

After four months of therapy I have been able to cut my hypertension meds in half, and I also need half as much insulin as before. I don't think either problem caused significant premature aging because both were perfectly controlled before. I know my body is generally working better now, so there may be other more subtle health issues that have aged me more than I should have.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can never be young again, so in that sense we can never fully pay back a sleep debt that's accrued over many years or decades.

We can pay part of it back, though, and that's a lot to be thankful for. Think of all the other people in the past who never had a chance to realize this benefit, and all those in the present who don't.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: homerotate-sleep-debt.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Has anyone had travel CPAP paid for by Medicare? DelawareTim 0 773 04-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: DelawareTim
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.