Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 5 ramp up to 7. 10 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Have you tried somnoplasty?
I am getting frustrated. I have tried a great deal of the mask designs available and I dislike, I guess like most humans, having anything on my face that wouldn't normally be there.

I am considering visiting a doctor that performs somnoplasty to see what, if any effect, it could have on my apnea.

I am wondering if anyone here has done it. I assume if you are still here then maybe it didn't work so well. SHa_biggrin5

If someone can give me some feedback on your results I would be appreciative.
03-15-2015 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Have you tried somnoplasty?
A good friend of mine had it done some years back -- pre 2007 as I recall.
For him it worked at the time. However, I believe he needs to be on CPAP; and he is scheduling a sleep study.

One comment: He said it really hurts for a while!

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-15-2015 06:35 PM
remltr Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto

Other Comments:

(03-15-2015 06:35 PM)justMongo Wrote:  A good friend of mine had it done some years back -- pre 2007 as I recall.
For him it worked at the time. However, I believe he needs to be on CPAP; and he is scheduling a sleep study.

8 years on, maybe the procedure has improved and their are those who have complete success. I am sure there are a great deal of variables that go into the success rate.

As far as the pain goes, I am a masochist, bring it on!! Too-funny

Just kidding.
03-15-2015 07:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AshSF Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 D560TS
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10, Bkup: Airfit F10 & Quattro Air
Humidifier: PRS1 60 series with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 8 w/ Aflex 3

Other Comments: Using APAP mode with fixed pressure

(03-15-2015 07:25 PM)remltr Wrote:  
(03-15-2015 06:35 PM)justMongo Wrote:  A good friend of mine had it done some years back -- pre 2007 as I recall.

8 years on, maybe the procedure has improved and their are those who have complete success. I am sure there are a great deal of variables that go into the success rate.

Just kidding.
The procedure has definitely improved. There is RFA and Laser, so definitely better targeting and cutting of what needs to be cut.

One thing that hasn't changed in the last 8 years is the average human body's response to surgery. And that is where the average success rate becomes irrelevant to the individual's case. For a lot of people, scar tissue grows back in a few years. And your breathing becomes worse than original because the scar tissue has outgrown the original tissue.

I evaluated it earlier but ultimately decided against it. Instead I started nasal irrigation with a Neti Pot every night an hour before going to bed. I used to be a mouth breather on a FFM (F10) and now I am a nose breather on a P10 mask with zero mouth leaks.

Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
03-15-2015 11:52 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(03-15-2015 11:52 PM)AshSF Wrote:  
(03-15-2015 07:25 PM)remltr Wrote:  

Just kidding.
The procedure has definitely improved. There is RFA and Laser, so definitely better targeting and cutting of what needs to be cut.

One thing that hasn't changed in the last 8 years is the average human body's response to surgery. And that is where the average success rate becomes irrelevant to the individual's case. For a lot of people, scar tissue grows back in a few years. And your breathing becomes worse than original because the scar tissue has outgrown the original tissue.

I evaluated it earlier but ultimately decided against it. Instead I started nasal irrigation with a Neti Pot every night an hour before going to bed. I used to be a mouth breather on a FFM (F10) and now I am a nose breather on a P10 mask with zero mouth leaks.

Ashsf,

You sure you aren't talking about septoplasty near the end of your post instead of somnoplasty? As far as I know, while in some cases, the turbinates may increase again if the person also has a turbinate reduction, I have never heard of the complication of scar tissue growing back making breathing worse. Most people who have this procedure say it considerably helped their breathing and made pap therapy alot easier.

49er
03-16-2015 04:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

The most common form of somnoplasty for OSA is done to narrow the base of the tongue. A probe similar to a large caliber needle is pushed into the base of the tongue and heated with RF energy. It is reinserted about 5 times. As scar tissue forms, the tongue base shrinks.

As with my friend, time has caused increased loss of muscle tone in the area; and he is now having OSA.

The gold standard of treatment is PAP.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-16-2015 08:45 AM
AshSF Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 D560TS
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10, Bkup: Airfit F10 & Quattro Air
Humidifier: PRS1 60 series with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 8 w/ Aflex 3

Other Comments: Using APAP mode with fixed pressure

(03-16-2015 04:39 AM)49er Wrote:  
(03-15-2015 11:52 PM)AshSF Wrote:  
(03-15-2015 07:25 PM)remltr Wrote:  8 years on, maybe the procedure has improved and their are those who have complete success. I am sure there are a great deal of variables that go into the success rate.

Just kidding.

Ashsf,

You sure you aren't talking about septoplasty near the end of your post instead of somnoplasty? As far as I know, while in some cases, the turbinates may increase again if the person also has a turbinate reduction, I have never heard of the complication of scar tissue growing back making breathing worse. Most people who have this procedure say it considerably helped their breathing and made pap therapy alot easier.

49er
49er: Somnoplasty is potentially a combo of 3 procedures
Turbinate Reduction
Soft Palate & Uvula Reduction
Tongue Base Reduction

Yes, I was referring to the Turbinate reduction part in the latter part of my post.

Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
03-16-2015 11:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
7Bud Offline

Members

Machine: remstar se220 & 260p
Mask Make & Model: 60
Humidifier: yes
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: EncoreViewer

Other Comments:

I had it done 10 years ago. It worked for about 2 years, then osa returned. but now its mild rather then severe osa.
03-17-2015 09:36 AM
remltr Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto

Other Comments:

So I went in for my consultation today. The current doc had some interesting information for me.

I had my original sleep doc send my "in clinic" sleep study to the current doc.

Current doc's read on the study was that he is not sure that I have OSA. That I probably only have a snoring issue. He says the OSA issue is within normal standards (7 times over the study) and hypopnea (47 times per hour) is more the issue. Oxygen levels at 90%. He wants me to do another "home" sleep study to see what those results are.

My original sleep doc told me that I stopped breathing (OSA) 49 times per hour. Don't think I heard that wrong when he told me that. Makes me wonder!!

Current doc says that I have a larger than normal uvula. Removing that and doing a turbinate reduction should alleviate my issue. But first he wants to see what the new study says before he proceeds.

So the new doc is an ears nose and throat doc. "Bend your head back. Let me stick this swab with antihistamine up your nostrils. Let that sit for a second. OK lets take this scope and shove it up your nose, or down it since I want to look down your throat." Not a painful examination, but definitely uncomfortable. The result being that he did not see the structure for my tongue to make it to the back of my throat while sleeping.

I mentioned to him that I am a side sleeper and his comment regarding doing the sleep study is how unnatural it is for a side sleeper to sleep during the study when you are pretty much forced to do it on your back with all the wiring that you hooked up to.

Anyway I don't know if I should be mad at my original doc for not being, I guess, more truthful. I know I have had some positive results from the cpap machine. Guess it kept the uvula from collapsing.

April 8th - home sleep study.

More to come.
03-23-2015 04:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tkmphoenix Offline

Members

Machine: REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I had treatment about ten years ago in which they inserted electrodes in the roof of my mouth and then applied a current designed to kill tissue. The objective was to reduce the amount of tissue and, as scar tissue formed, to make the roof and back of the mouth less flaccid. They also removed a small part of my uvula. This was done by a company (Somnus? -- will research if important) affiliated with Stanford. I had three treatments -- not as bad as it sounds, but you have two or three tough nights, as swollen throat inhibits breathing. Spent about $5K on it. Bottom line -- no results at all. Total waste for me. They had a lot of clinical data, however, so perhaps it works for some people.
03-26-2015 08:20 AM