Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Haven't used my CPAP in several years
Haven't used my CPAP in several years
Hi,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 3.5 years ago. I got a CPAP machine (Resmed S9 H5i) and used it very sparingly for less than a month. I had a hard time sleeping with it, and didn't give it the amount of diligence I should have to make it a habit. This past week I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy and the dr said I was thrashing during the procedure and asked my wife if I had ever had been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Bottom line is that I need to start using the machine again. I will call my doctor tomorrow, but in the time it takes me to get back to the dr, would it be ok for me to try to use the machine again now without any input from a doctor? Or should I wait until I talk to him before I start up with the machine again?

Thanks

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Haven't used my CPAP in several years
Hi chrisd467,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It wouldn't hurt to start using your machine again. If you are having trouble breathing against the pressure, try using Expiratory Pressure Relief, (EPR,) try setting it to two and see how that works for you, hang in there for other suggestions.
Better luck this time around with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends what sort of relationship you have with your doctor. Is he aware you haven't been using your cpap?

If your serious about trying again, then it wouldn't hurt to use your machine until you can see your doctor.
Use SleepyHead or ResScan and print reports for your doctor to look at.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chris, there is no reason not to use the machine...you should never have quit. Your prescription is probably still active, and the S9 Elite and Autoset can give you plenty of data to fine tune the therapy. Your profile shows a full-face mask. Did you ever try nasal or pillows? CPAP is a lot more comfortable if you tolerate nasal interfaces.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I tried it last night, and did have problems with breathing against the pressure, so I will check the EPR setting tonight. Hope that will make a difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2016, 09:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Chris, there is no reason not to use the machine...you should never have quit. Your prescription is probably still active, and the S9 Elite and Autoset can give you plenty of data to fine tune the therapy. Your profile shows a full-face mask. Did you ever try nasal or pillows? CPAP is a lot more comfortable if you tolerate nasal interfaces.

I am actually using a nasal mask now. I had a hard time with the full face mask. Thanks for noticing that in my profile. I changed it so it is now correct. One other question. What is contained in the prescription? I am pretty sure I dont have that anymore. I was looking through the settings last night and I think the pressure settings looked pretty low and wanted to make sure they were set to what the prescription said (assuming thats whats in the prescription).

Thanks

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
Chris, you should download #Sleepyhead and see what kind of results you're getting. We can probably help you dial things in if there are any questions or issues. The easiest way to get a prescription is just to ask your primary doctor to write the script. You can probably tell him what you are set to now, and that would suffice. If you can recall where you had the sleep study, try to get a copy of the results. They may have to pull it out of archives, but this could save you thousand$$ going forward, and will ensure you can continue to get prescriptions and equipment.

If you can do these simple things, you can probably get updated equipment and supplies through insurance. If a nasal mask is working for you, you would be blown away by the lightweight and silent Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. You can find that on Amazon if you want to give it a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 04:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Chris, you should download and see what kind of results you're getting. We can probably help you dial things in if there are any questions or issues. The easiest way to get a prescription is just to ask your primary doctor to write the script. You can probably tell him what you are set to now, and that would suffice. If you can recall where you had the sleep study, try to get a copy of the results. They may have to pull it out of archives, but this could save you thousand$$ going forward, and will ensure you can continue to get prescriptions and equipment.

If you can do these simple things, you can probably get updated equipment and supplies through insurance. If a nasal mask is working for you, you would be blown away by the lightweight and silent Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. You can find that on Amazon if you want to give it a try.

Thanks. I will definitely check out the nasal pillows. I sleep on my side most of the time, will there be any issues using pillows sleeping on your side? I wish I actually read through these forums when I first got my equipment. There is so much information to be learned. I just installed sleepyhead and got my screenshot. Would you suggest I just upload it here, or start another thread on the main board?

Thanks

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are a couple links showing how to best organize charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
and how to use a hosting site like Imgur to post them. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board Again, there is a lot we can do with the data to help you optimize comfort.

Lots of us without the mouth breathing problem use the P10 pillows, and they work on your side, back and even mostly on our stomach. I enjoy that I can be close to my wife and not blow air all over her, or wake us up with the noisy jet of air. If one of the reasons you ditched CPAP before was intimacy, that's not a problem with this interface. Add a fleece hose cover for even more comfort and to lose the medical look.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my images from my 3rd night (last night). I have slept better each night. Last night I took the mask off at 3:25 due to a pain on my face near my nose from where I had been laying on it for some time (laying on my side) I ordered the P10 pillows and they will be here tomorrow so hoping that will make the difference to be able to make it all the way through the night.

I really dont have specific questions. Just wondering what your observations are on my few hours of sleep with the machine.

[Image: F3wyV61l.png]

[Image: 6a1ZoKAl.png]

Thanks

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 239 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.