Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having Leaks,Please help
Having Leaks,Please help
Hello I've been using my APAP for almost 2 months now after being Diagnosed with UARS But I am still having a lot of Leaks. 

I use the P10 Nasal Pillow mask aswell as Mouth tape everynight but am still having alot of leak spikes on my OSCAR report that I believe causes me to take off the mask unconsciously after 2 hours overnight.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?? I don't know maybe someone can give me their second opinion on this, Thanks!!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having Leaks,Please help
Try turning EPR on and to whatever feels comfortable (2 or 3 cm probably). This could help both treatment quality and comfort which might reduce leaks and improve compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have no leaks of consequence, and for someone not using EPR you are doing great with flow limitations. Try turning on EPR (full-time) at a setting of 2 or 3 as suggested by Geer1. It will resolve residual flow limits, make therapy more comfortable and I think this should make your CPAP therapy feel great! If you need instruction on accessing settings, let us know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leaks are not that bad. To see if your leaks go higher than what the machine can handle do this. 

With your mouse right click in the right column near the words leak rate and click on dotted line.  Pick the last option.  That will put a dotted line at the max rate that the machine can adjust   

Of course the less leaks the better but very few of us get through the night without leaks.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, yes yes, please try the EPR full time.

I was having terrible large leaks. Won't post my charts as a total horror story. Given 4 different types of masks, same poor result...so something out of wack. 

Very long story short, with lots of twists and turns - enabled full time EPR, level 3  and done.

Keeping close watch on central apneas, so far so good....

I think that leaks can mess up in a big way the machine's algorithm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fyi the reason EPR can improve leaks is because it makes it easier to exhale. When your body has trouble exhaling through nose it will often switch to exhaling out mouth and when you do that then you often start leaking out mouth. In some cases EPR can provide the extra assistance/comfort so that your body doesn't switch to mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, but in my case I have been taping my mouth for quite some time,
It was my first reaction to eliminate any possibility of mouth breathing. Got me foxed.
Anyway, for some reason EPR works a treat for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 236 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 503 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.