Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having Sleep Apnea is Type 2 a When not If you will get it?
RE: Having Sleep Apnea is Type 2 a When not If you will get it?
(05-01-2012, 09:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Well said advice.

That does narrow down the choices, doesn't?

Interestingly, there was an article in the news today about better sleep reducing the bad effect of bad genes on our weight. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/stor...csp=34news So if anything, our CPAP machines should help break the vicious cycle of poor sleep, increased weight, worse sleep, diabetes. Watching what you eat is probably a bit more important than exercising, but both are essential. It's pretty hard to exercise off a bad diet (even an apple has 150 cal and would take an hour or so on the treadmill if I remember the numbers correctly). Exercise IS critically important however because it relieves the pancreas from having to produce so much insulin by helping the glucose go straight into the muscles, thus prolonging the time before the pancreas poops out from overuse feeding all those fat cells!. Since insulin is also a pro-inflammatory hormone, reducing its secretion should also reduce all the things that go along with inflammation (like aging and heart disease and everything else that goes along with metabolic syndrome).

Post Reply Post Reply
There is definitely a genetic component to Type 2 diabetes. If it were solely related to being overweight then all overweight people would have it.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2012, 09:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That does narrow down the choices, doesn't?

Yes. It narrows it down to food. By the way, that's advice I read in a book. Personally, I don't want to follow it strictly because there's lots of good food that's been invented since grandma's day. But I still imagine she's there, walking the isle with me. I just have to explain some of the new-fangled things we have now, like microwave ovens for steaming veggies in the bag.

After all, due to a lack of computers and hi-def TV's, grandma had a lot of free time on her hands for growing, cleaning, and cooking her own veggies.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most everything store bought has corn products in it (starch and sugars)... all highly refined... You can hardly find a food these days that doesn't have some starch or sugar extracted from corn...

If you ever get a chance to watch the documentary film "Food, Inc.", I'd recommend it. Don't agree with everything in it, but it is informative on many issues.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, although if one is willing to start with less processed food, it is not too difficult to find food stuffs without high fructose corn syrup (which is used as a sweetener mainly due to government subsidies of corn, making it the cheapest way to get refined sugar into us).

I also recommend the movie "ForksOverKnives" (commercial link removed) "The Future of Food" and reading Michael Pollen's books (shop around the edges of the supermarket -- the center of the supermarket is filled with junk food, and don't eat anything that has more than 5 ingredients.

I can't remember the last soda or fried or sugar based thing I ate and I have a BMI of 22 without really trying. It's not really because of genes either at least one one parent's side. One's taste must adapt gradually, but being vegan and avoiding refined foods like 90% of the junk that passes for calories in America (and other western countries) is a nice way of life and I feel much better overall. Junk foods and sodas should be made illegal before marijuana (although I'm not a fan of either).

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for those recommendations, SlightlySleepy. The big problem I have is our entire food industry is based upon corn and soy beans... man, if we ever had a blight or some disease that affected those two crops, half the nation would starve.

I don't like the way Monsanto controls the seed and food industry - they are like the Food Nazis, in my opinion. We need to get back to more locally produced food that is less dependent upon one huge conglomerate. Monsanto is suing independent farmer into oblivion, and the result is that Monsanto literally controls our food supply... one company... and that is dangerous.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2012, 10:51 PM)SlightlySleepy Wrote: I also recommend the movie "ForksOverKnives" (commercial link removed)

Sorry about the link, thanks for catching that, SuperSleeper. It was completely unintentional. I have a habit of occasionally sharing useful links to health information, and was thinking about the link as more informational than commercial site. I'll try to remember in the future. I truly appreciate the non-commercial nature of this forum. BTW, I have no affiliation of any kind (personal or financial) with the producers of the Forks Over Knives movie. I just recommend it highly to anyone who is open to thinking about nutrition and its effect on their body logically.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 08:22 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ...I don't like the way Monsanto controls the seed and food industry - they are like the Food Nazis, in my opinion. We need to get back to more locally produced food that is less dependent upon one huge conglomerate. Monsanto is suing independent farmer into oblivion, and the result is that Monsanto literally controls our food supply... one company... and that is dangerous.

I more than don't like, I hate the way Monsanto is putting our food supply at risk with their herbicide - herbicide resistant seed genetic strains.

However, it is not really Monsanto's management fault (their policies are brilliant short term tactics for maximizing share holder profits, which is the only requirement for a corporation) but it is our democratic government's fault for listening to Monsanto's lobbyists more than the consumers who want GMO labelled and more diversity of seed supply, stopping subsidies of unneeded crops like excessive corn production beyond anticipated needs etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 01:25 PM)SlightlySleepy Wrote: However, it is not really Monsanto's management fault (their policies are brilliant short term tactics for maximizing share holder profits, which is the only requirement for a corporation) but it is our democratic government's fault for listening to Monsanto's lobbyists more than the consumers who want GMO labelled and more diversity of seed supply, stopping subsidies of unneeded crops like excessive corn production beyond anticipated needs etc.

Yep... it's crazy because when a farmer is accused by Monsanto for using seeds that have a small amount of genes from Monsanto's patented seeds, the burden of proof is on the farmer to prove otherwise. Guilty until proven innocent.

Small heirloom farmers who save their own seed have no way of controlling the corn plants from cross-pollinating with Monsanto's seeds from a neighboring farmer who uses Monsanto's genetically patented seeds... so they are bound to get some degree of the genes mixed into their heirloom plants. So the law states that if there's any of Monsanto's gene's mixed in, Monsanto can sue the heirloom farmer for patent infringement. So that's what they do. And it's Monsanto's lobbyists who influence the law makers to make create new laws beneficial to Monsanto. It's called basic fascism (corporate control of government).

Monsanto now has 90% of the corn seed market because they are systematically suing the competing seed-saving farmers out of existence. Seed-saving farmers can't fight a multi-billion dollar corporation with seemingly unlimited financial and legal resources at their disposal, especially when the laws have been created by Monsanto.

I'm a free-enterprise libertarian, but the mixing of government with large corporations was never an intention of the founding fathers.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 08:55 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 01:25 PM)SlightlySleepy Wrote: However, it is not really Monsanto's management fault (their policies are brilliant short term tactics for maximizing share holder profits, which is the only requirement for a corporation) but it is our democratic government's fault for listening to Monsanto's lobbyists more than the consumers who want GMO labelled and more diversity of seed supply, stopping subsidies of unneeded crops like excessive corn production beyond anticipated needs etc.

Yep... it's crazy because when a farmer is accused by Monsanto for using seeds that have a small amount of genes from Monsanto's patented seeds, the burden of proof is on the farmer to prove otherwise. Guilty until proven innocent.

Small heirloom farmers who save their own seed have no way of controlling the corn plants from cross-pollinating with Monsanto's seeds from a neighboring farmer who uses Monsanto's genetically patented seeds... so they are bound to get some degree of the genes mixed into their heirloom plants. So the law states that if there's any of Monsanto's gene's mixed in, Monsanto can sue the heirloom farmer for patent infringement. So that's what they do. And it's Monsanto's lobbyists who influence the law makers to make create new laws beneficial to Monsanto. It's called basic fascism (corporate control of government).

Monsanto now has 90% of the corn seed market because they are systematically suing the competing seed-saving farmers out of existence. Seed-saving farmers can't fight a multi-billion dollar corporation with seemingly unlimited financial and legal resources at their disposal, especially when the laws have been created by Monsanto.

I'm a free-enterprise libertarian, but the mixing of government with large corporations was never an intention of the founding fathers.

I knew this was happening but did not know how to say it like you have. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 291 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.