Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having Sleep Apnea is Type 2 a When not If you will get it?
Having Sleep Apnea is Type 2 a When not If you will get it?
Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that having sleep apnea and being overweight means you will get type 2 eventually? I hope not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having Sleep Apnea is Type 2 a When not If you will get it?
A patient whose obstructive sleep apnea is successfully treated (with CPAP therapy) is just the same as a patient without obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. The sooner any condition is treated, the less the other risks become.

So much comes into play in terms of diabetes. Family history, weight, health, eating habits, etc etc.

I have type 2 because it is familial. Even if I had lost weight, I'd still have it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2012, 07:47 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that having sleep apnea and being overweight means you will get type 2 eventually? I hope not.

I am assuming you are talking about Type 2 diabetes. The odds are against you but it is not a given. Chances were good that I would have developed diabetes if I hadn't done something about it.

I was morbidly obese (BMI just shy of 40) and had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and severe obstructive sleep apnea. I resolved my being overweight by having bariatric surgery. My BMI right now is 21.X. In fact, the only meds I take now are my thyroid meds and my bariatric formula multi-vitamin.

One thing that didn't get resolved for me was my OSA. Guess I was the unfortunate victim of genetics I guess. Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2012, 07:54 PM)Sleepster Wrote: A patient whose obstructive sleep apnea is successfully treated (with CPAP therapy) is just the same as a patient without obstructive sleep apnea.

Although overweight does tip the scales ( :grin: ) in favor of diabetes. Not a given, however - just more likely.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Pfft, the way they are talking now, being overweight is the reason behind nearly every illness. Stub your toe? Obesity made you do it! Studies (very expensive ones) have proven it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2012, 08:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Pfft, the way they are talking now, being overweight is the reason behind nearly every illness. Stub your toe? Obesity made you do it! Studies (very expensive ones) have proven it.

Well, it is considered better in some medical circles to have a specific, as opposed to idiopathic, reason :grin: for any given problem. When I was in high school, in my class of 243 students, I remember TWO girls who were overweight, and the same number of boys. I don't think any comparable high school class today could match that, but then, we weren't sitting on our duffs playing video games, and snacks were not really available.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is more than that. I just watched a video by a UCSF doctor about obesity and High Fructose Corn Syrup. Every food we eat except perhaps Fritos has it. You can barely find a bottled spaghetti sauce without it. Canned soup, green beans etc. Fast foods with no fiber and everytihing to make you want more. Too much sodium hidden by sugars in soft drinks. Those drinks are hard really, hard on your liver. Fortunately, I do not have any Diabetes in my family and so far I do not have it. I do need to change my diet again because when I did before my cholesterol etc was great. I have thought about lap band but it would be difficult to go back and forth to the doc, recovery from surgery, as I live alone but for a few dogs to care for. I think changing eating habits and sticking to them is the best way. I do not agree with someone who says eating any food in moderation is ok. I do not think Weight Watchers frozen dinners are healthy or even any canned, boxed processed foods for that matter. Yes, I still give in and eat them sometimes for convenience sake. Another topic entirely but the American diet is not a healthy one and we all know obesity has gone up from when we were kids. I was never an active sporty kid but was not overweight except one year maybe a chubby girl scout. I also think fad diets messed with my metabolism. And no, a calorie is not a calorie be it from cheese cake or green beans. sugar is poison.

I am happy to know that a compliant c-pap ( A pap really ) user makes me safe. I am compliant so I am not too bad off I guess. Shhhhhh, I love my Safeway Select Key Lime sherbet. I also love Welches' grape juice with lots of its' natural sugar. whaada ya gunna do? Just a thought, my dogs do not exercise much and they eat good dry dog food and no treats and none have ever been overweight. I have had 15 dogs since age nine, and none overweight. Maybe I should just eat dry dog food. lolDielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2012, 08:50 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I do need to change my diet again because when I did before my cholesterol etc was great.

When shopping for food, imagine your grandmother (or great-grandmother) is with you. Don't buy anything that she wouldn't recognize as food.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Well said advice.

That does narrow down the choices, doesn't?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.