Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having Trouble Understanding EPR and EPAP
Having Trouble Understanding EPR and EPAP
Am having trouble understanding EPR and EPAP. I'm on day 7 of CPAP with ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her. Starting to feel better and while I wouldn't say I'm getting used to sleeping with hose stuck to my face, I'm getting adjusted enough to use it all night long. What I can't seem to get clear on what EPR and EPAP means and how I might explore those settings on the ResMed. My AHI has average .87 and my machine was set to EPR: Full Time 3cmH2O by RT and that looks like the highest setting. Should I try playing around with setting it lower? Don't really understand that aspect of things yet. Guidance there would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having Trouble Understanding EPR and EPAP
EPAP is simply the setting for the lowest expiration pressure that you want the machine to provide your airway.

EPR is the difference between whatever the machine is providing you during INSPIRATION and what YOU set the EPR to be.  That can be anything from 'none' to 3 cm on many machines, whereas some more specialized machines can back off from whatever the high currently is by 4 cm or even more.

So, the high on variable inspiration settings can vary.  Whatever it happens to be at any one moment during your sleep, the machine will back off on its delivery of pressure as it senses you are exhaling, but it will only back off by a set 2,3,4...whatever...cm.  Your machine still has a bottom line level of 6 cm, and will never go below that pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,578 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,108 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.