Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Different Silicon on My New F20 Mask?
Different Silicon on My New F20 Mask?
I just got my first replacement F20 mask and headgear and the cushion that came with it seems to be a thicker, less grippy silicon.  The cushion leaks a lot more and I was putting it down to needing to keep tweaking the fit on the new headgear.  Was there an early version of the F20 that had thicker silicon?  I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Different Silicon on My New F20 Mask?
(04-23-2019, 08:32 AM)zzz1 Wrote: I just got my first replacement F20 mask and headgear and the cushion that came with it seems to be a thicker, less grippy silicon.  The cushion leaks a lot more and I was putting it down to needing to keep tweaking the fit on the new headgear.  Was there an early version of the F20 that had thicker silicon?  I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or not.

Sorry, I can't answer your question.

But I feel compelled to point out that it is not silicon, it is silicone.

Silicon is an element (found on the periodic table).
Silicone is a rubber-like compound that uses silicon atoms in place of carbon atoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m sure that will be helpful for future posts. This one, alas, is a loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using the AirFit F20 FFM since Sept. of 2018. I've received several replacement pillows for it since. I hadn't noticed any difference in them.  

I'm now using an AirFit F30 FFM. The silicone pillow on it does seem to be a little less thick and more slick.
Post Reply Post Reply
The silicone is definitely less flexible and slightly more opaque. I can’t say for sure that it’s thicker.  I also noticed that the silicone liner indents on the bottom of the mask in the middle instead of following the shape of the cushion. 

I popped on a new cushion and it was fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just spinning something here, but I wonder if there's a knockoff industry growing for the various parts.  Counterfeits abound in most markets where there's money changing hands....  Or, you could send an inquiry to the manufacturer and ask them if their materials or suppliers have changed recently to account for the differences you have noted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did call Resmed. They told me about the 90 day warranty and to bring it to my DME. My DME’s position is that they sent me the face mask and 3 cushions and that I should just use a new cushion. 

The DME said they provide a new mask and headgear every 90 days but only get reimbursed by insurance for the new mask every 6 months. This of course implies that I should be grateful for the new mask. I’m going to look at my EOBs because there’s no way they could run a business doing that. That sounds like BS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Silicon Material used for masks SyCoREAPER 4 676 10-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,834 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.