Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having difficulty exhaling into full face mask
Sad 
Having difficulty exhaling into full face mask
I just began using my machine last week and I have a hard time exhaling because the exhaled air has nowhere to go but inside the chamber because the small rubber flap is being pushed against the drainage port from the pressure coming into the mask. There are small holes in a gray piece, but it isn't helping. My pressure is set to 2 or 3 because all I wanted to eliminate was snoring. Can I cut off the rubber flap? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having difficulty exhaling into full face mask
Which RENstar do you have? There is a A flex or C Flex setting that will reduce the exhale pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Esoteric and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question, however, I wouldn't cut off the flap on your mask.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post what machine you have, people here will be able to help once they know for sure what machine you are working with. Like Trish said, hang in there, others will answer soon!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask do you have?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In all honesty, walking into the wind would be harder to breath against then a pressure of 2-3cm.

How do you know that the pressure of 2-3 is opening your airway sufficently to stop the snoring?

In my opinion altering the mechanics of the manufacturers intented mask inhalerration and exhaleration devices would be detrimental to a successful solution.

Perhaps increasing the pressure to a 4 or 5 might be a better solution.

How did you come about the using of a CPAP and was this a Doctors recommendation to solving your snoring? Perhaps just the use of some Breath Right strips might be all that necessary, if you haven't already tried those..

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: AmaraMaskFloatingCushion_565.jpg]
as fresh air comes in ... the exhaled air flushed out thru exhalations ports which should be kept clear of bed covers at all times
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en/...eep/amara/

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2012, 08:22 AM)Esoteric Wrote: I just began using my machine last week and I have a hard time exhaling because the exhaled air has nowhere to go but inside the chamber because the small rubber flap is being pushed against the drainage port from the pressure coming into the mask. There are small holes in a gray piece, but it isn't helping. My pressure is set to 2 or 3 because all I wanted to eliminate was snoring. Can I cut off the rubber flap? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Do not cut the "flap" off. That will ruin the mask and cause you to lose your pressure. That flap is part of the "anti-asphyxia" valve that lets you breathe fresh air if the CPAP machine shuts off.

When you exhale with the machine on, some of the air goes out through the small holes (the exhaust vent) and some of it temporarily goes back up the hose. As the machine continues to blow, the exhaled air is flushed out of the hose and out through the exhale vents. Put your hand near the exhale vent while the machine is on, and you'll feel the airstream coming out the vent.

It should say something like "REMstar Pro blahblahblah" near the LCD display. Tell us what it says. Also, while it's running, it will probably say something like 12 cmH2O on the display. What does it say on your machine?

The pressure is controlled by the machine, not the holes in the mask. If you put the end of the hose in your mouth where there are no holes for the air to leak out, you'll find that when you exhale, the air goes back up the hose, and the pressure doesn't increase.

Many new people feel the pressure when they try to exhale, but most people will rapidly adjust and won't feel the pressure after a while.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds strange that the pressure is set to 2-3. How did it get set to those settings? The lowest setting on the Resmed is a 4 which is more than likely for a child's smaller airway. I don't think it would necessarily be appropriate for anyone to recommend a pressure. I would talk to your doc if you have one or therapist, the doc should have given the therapist specific settings for the machine based on your sleep study results.
If those aren't an option try calling the manufacturer of the machine. Resmed actually has a respiratory therapist for their customers to speak to. They might be able to advise.

Certainly don't cut the flapper or valve. You will just have to buy another mask. The systems functionality depends on it and it(the system) won't work right without it. There are air holes on every mask to eliminate the exhaled air.

Best of luck, I hope you get the problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with the flap on the mask being discussed. When the pressure is on, that flap is supposed to be closed over the hole.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 810 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.