Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having difficulty w/ Amara View, Plz Help.
Having difficulty w/ Amara View, Plz Help.
I have a full beard and until recently was using a Mirage Quatro Medium full face mask (which gave me red marks on my face which lasted throughout most of the day). Recently I acquired a new machine and along the process the Therapist introduced me to the Amara View mask. Liked it right off the bat in the office/classroom, however at home the experience has been a lil different.

Because of my setting (16) I had to sandwich a couple pieces of duct tape between the inside rim of the swivel joint and the back of the hard plastic front of the mask. this worked well and has caused 0 issues since. However even on the first night the mask had a tendency to 'crawl' up my face to the point where the 'lip guard' covers my nostrils. I've tried readjusting the straps multiple times, washing my face right before bed, and a couple different methods of putting the mask on before bed. I suspect that the lip bumper may not be getting enough traction from my mustache as opposed to a bare lip, really don't want to shave though. 

Have an of you ever had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Can you suggest anything I haven't already tried?

If I can answer any questions please feel free to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having difficulty w/ Amara View, Plz Help.
Two answers to this question
The first is why a FFM, I recommend starting with the least intrusive mask (Pillows) and go to the most intrusive mask, the Full Face Mask.  This is even for Mouth Breathers of which I am.  Frequently CPAP pressure will just cause a mouth breather to breath through the nose.  There are other tricks and techniques (see the Mask Primer)

Second,  The Amara View is my backup FFM (That's me in my Avatar with an Amara View.
Search and view the manufactures fitting video as it offers good advice for fitting this mask.  
Check out the fit guide in the Mask Primer (towards the bottom.  This mask fits, and is sized differently than other masks.  I've always used a large mask, except for the Amara View.  
When you are fitting this mask or any mask, Lying down, under pressure, gold it gently with your hand, no straps and see where you get a seal, that is usually where you want the straps to hold the mask.

Finally 
The nose membrane rests in the underside of the nose, your mustache does not come into play here.  You breath thru the hole there and that is the main fitting point in the fit guide (I'm a Medium)  The mouth seal/coushin rests against the lower part of my lower lip and just barely outside the corners of my mouth.  I have very little beard there.  

The fact that you say "the mask had a tendency to 'crawl' up my face to the point where the 'lip guard' covers my nostrils."  I have at times found the lower cushion in my mouth because I opened my mouth.  A loosely fit cervical collar will help keep the chin from dropping and help control mouth breathing.  MUCH more comfortable than the conventional chin strap.

Hope this helps

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having difficulty w/ Amara View, Plz Help.
When I started CPAP Therapy back in '08 there were no 'good; nasal pillows for folks with a setting of 18+. As a result I was given a FFM (Mirage Quatro Medium) and until recently it worked well enough. Few leaks (even around the mustache, I usually had to shave off the lower lip/front of my chin area. I'm hoping to avoid that with the Amara.

I already looked at those resources you mentioned, though reviewing the mask primer give me some ideas regrading my headgears straps. It was the 3rd paragraph that hid a golden nugget. Knowing that I've gotten 3/5 nights with the Amara view. Hopefully from here on out it's just getting used to the quirks of the thing.

So thanks for the help and possibly just as important, the patience.

Stay Frosty!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,776 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 357 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 588 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik
  CT Angiography - 3D Airway view reconstruction fotjon 2 403 09-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: fotjon
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,032 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468
  [Pressure] Recently Diagnosed, Please view my charts DumDum90 4 576 06-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: DumDum90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.