Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having some troubles.... [A10 noise]
Having some troubles.... [A10 noise]
I’m having trouble with some air flow and my wife is having trouble with some noises she has noticed for the past 6 weeks or so. Also a couple of questions. I started using the AirSense 10 late last summer and with the groups help dialed in to 9-12, as opposed to the doc’s 4-20. I use pillows & a chin strap. My average AHI for the past year has been .81.

First: I’ve noticed that when I first put the unit on there now seems to be a stronger air flow and after a time, several minutes or more and then the pressure / air flow drops to a more comfortable level. (I’ve never used the Ramp in all the years I’ve had any machine). It’s something that has been happening recently in the past couple of weeks, not every night but many nights. I can’t see anything on the data sheets to indicate anything - even when it seems to calm down. It is also a bit loud - air coming out of the mask vent - but no leaks from the mask itself.

Second: My wife is being disturbed by a sound from the machine. While it doesn’t wake her, it does keep her from getting back to sleep if she is awake. Doesn’t happen at the start of the evening. I’ve been able to hear it when I’m awake, it’s not air leakage from the mask or my mouth. Rather it’s when I inhale we hear, for lack of a better word a “wheezing” sound coming from the machine - not from me. I’ve been aware of it when she wake’s me to see if moving position will help - it doesn’t and towards morning when I wake but before I turn it off. Last night it was happening about 1120pm and again later after I put the mask back on. (I started with the nasal mask and went to the pillows - no difference). I can’t see anything in the charts to explain this.

I tried moving from pillows which I’ve been using for years to a nasal mask. No difference. I tried turning the EPR from 2 to 1 and to 0. No difference and I do like the feeling of the EPR at 2.

Absent any suggestions from the group I’m planning on using my old machine, RemStar Auto w/ A-Flex to see how that works. Is it possible the AirSense 10 is in need of repair? It’s about 18 months old.

One last question: 

My average AHI on the RemStar (4-20) was 2.18 for the prior year and them moved to average AHI of 1.62 (for 5 days) when I, with the groups help, dialed it in to 7-9 pressure. Given that my average AHI for the past year on the AirSense (9-12) has been .81, I wonder if I still need to use a machine? Or is my machine doing such a good job? Is there anyway to set the machine to see if I still need it? I have lost a fair amount of weight in the last year & a half since I’ve retired.

Thanks for all your help!

I've got screen shots & print out's, will post pdf's in next post - seems I can only put in 5.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having some troubles....
PDF reports:

[attachment=8695][attachment=8696][attachment=8697][attachment=8699][attachment=8700]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having some troubles.... [A10 noise]
Check the filter is ok, give it a wash or replace it, then check seal at humidifier tank, then check the condition of the seal where the humidifier tank pushes against the seal(s) inside the machine, finally check the hose has a good seal at the machine end and there is no damage to the rubber end(s).
I has a whistling noise from an old machine and it turned out to be a pin hole in the hose, i checked it several times and found nothing.  I found it by stretching the hose and plugging the end.  To confirm I put dish soap onto the hose and watched it bubble up, but do not put it onto where it connects to machine or mask.  You will never get it to stay on again.

I thought someone might have had some ideas!   Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 01:35 PM)jim.evo Wrote: Second: My wife is being disturbed by a sound from the machine. While it doesn’t wake her, it does keep her from getting back to sleep if she is awake. Doesn’t happen at the start of the evening. I’ve been able to hear it when I’m awake, it’s not air leakage from the mask or my mouth. Rather it’s when I inhale we hear, for lack of a better word a “wheezing” sound coming from the machine - not from me. I’ve been aware of it when she wake’s me to see if moving 

Absent any suggestions from the group I’m planning on using my old machine, RemStar Auto w/ A-Flex to see how that works. Is it possible the AirSense 10 is in need of repair? It’s about 18 months old.

I recently had a similar problem.  Mine sounded like a "whirring" noise.  I replaced my 3 1/2 year old machine.  Problem solved.  Motor was apparently dying.  Here is the thread on this topic:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Equipment-A10-Whirring-Noise
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 01:35 PM)jim.evo Wrote: ...

One last question: 

My average AHI on the RemStar (4-20) was 2.18 for the prior year and them moved to average AHI of 1.62 (for 5 days) when I, with the groups help, dialed it in to 7-9 pressure. Given that my average AHI for the past year on the AirSense (9-12) has been .81, I wonder if I still need to use a machine? Or is my machine doing such a good job? Is there anyway to set the machine to see if I still need it? I have lost a fair amount of weight in the last year & a half since I’ve retired.

I'd bet my next four pension cheques that your machine is still the champion it was a year ago and keeping you healthy.  That is to say, I'm willing to starve for the next four months or eat beans if you have somehow miraculously cured yourself of the need for PAP therapy.  Too-funny 

Seriously, the machine is still keeping you alive. I personally would not advise you to modify its settings so that you can prove it to yourself one night, particularly if you have other co-morbidities.
Post Reply Post Reply
check that the seals to the water tank and the main part of the CPAP are clean. Wiggle the water tank. I can always get it to stop on mine. Only happens once in a while.

Your AHI is low because you are using the CPAP. CPAP is a treatment and not a cure, sorry but you will be right back where you were or worse now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies, will check out what everyone has suggested. Am taking it in to Apria, where I got it on Tuesday, to have them look at it.

I did turn on the ramp and changed the pressure range to 6.6 - 12. (The original pressure on my APAP's have always been 4-20 from the doc, until the group recommended 9-12 for this unit_. AHI's are the same as before and it's less noisy - at least at start up. My wife is not having as much problem with it - since she started wearing ear plugs! Not something she wants to (or should) have to do. Given there were no problems up until about 2 months ago and I've been using the machine for over a year....something is up.

Cure / Treatment. I have read and was told that losing enough weight might resolve Apena. Actually I was never given a sleep test in the lab, but may have (must have?} done something at home...is that even possible?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2018, 04:54 PM)sonicboom Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 01:35 PM)jim.evo Wrote: Second: My wife is being disturbed by a sound from the machine. While it doesn’t wake her, it does keep her from getting back to sleep if she is awake. Doesn’t happen at the start of the evening. I’ve been able to hear it when I’m awake, it’s not air leakage from the mask or my mouth. Rather it’s when I inhale we hear, for lack of a better word a “wheezing” sound coming from the machine - not from me. I’ve been aware of it when she wake’s me to see if moving 

I recently had a similar problem.  Mine sounded like a "whirring" noise.  I replaced my 3 1/2 year old machine.  Problem solved.  Motor was apparently dying.  Here is the thread on this topic:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Equipment-A10-Whirring-Noise

sonicboom - your thread describes the problem I'm having, although it doesn't happen all the time, still must be a know issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,116 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 173 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 209 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,702 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 421 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 904 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 631 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.