Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea
Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea
I suffer from a combination of central and OSA and am struggling to get advice regarding the best form of anesthetic to use when I have my hernia operation shortly. For the type of hernia I am suffering  from (inguinal) either traditional or keyhole surgery is used for the hour long operation. Keyhole requires general anesthetic (GA). Traditional can be GA, epidural or local.

Has anyone had an operation whilst suffering from SA and what was they're experience please? Also if there are any doctors on line they're advice please.

Any help appreciated from anyone that has actually experienced this problem please. Thanks.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea
Tell the surgical team, especially the anesthesiologist, you have Complex Apnea and that they may want to be ready to tube you if necessary. I tell them every time I needed some surgical procedure and it's been fine. I had one incident in 2016 where they needed to tube me due to Apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell them what is going on and how bad you are when not on CPAP.

If for any (unforseen) you have a long recovery you will want it

When my knee was replaced I had a spinal and some form of general and they used my VAuto in the OR.

For my rear exam, the one where they look where the sun don't shine, did not use it in OR and had no need after, but it was with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea is easy for them to manage, just let them know you have it.

I assume you realize that open surgery with epidural or local anesthesia means you are awake during the surgery and as such apnea should not be present.

My opinion is that you should discuss this with your surgeon instead of us, your specific case determines what is best not our opinions or personal experiences. Which surgery is easiest for him? Which surgery has the quickest recovery? Least chance of complications?

Some quick googling makes it sound like open surgery with local anesthesia is the preferred method in basic cases but depending on hernia and patient details keyhole surgery or general anesthesia may be recommended. Here is a website with some info.

https://bostonhernia.com/faq/will-i-need...r-surgery/
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 3 bones screwed together in my foot last year. I told the nurse in pre-op ( a week before) that I had severe apnea, and she documented it. I suspect that's why they gave me epidural. I was kinda drifting in and out, they did have a mask on me so I assume some light gas but preventing me from going fully out. Man, those epidurals work good.. I could hear hammering and drilling, but I didnt feel a thing.
Definitely tell them about your situation. They will do the right thing to accommodate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had inguinal hernia repair on one side. They used open surgery so they didn’t disturb both sides with laparoscopic surgery. The anesthesiologist was concerned about my breathing, so they used Versed which I have also heard called Twilight. I didn’t feel any pain and was about half asleep, but I could hear voices and feel movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave. Cheers mate. What does tubing you mean?   Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
>>> What does tubing you mean?

I think the docs call it 'intubate'. After you are sedated, they push a tube down your throat toward your lungs so thaat their machine can breathe for you. It generally results in a sore throat once they have finished and take it out.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheers Dave  Rolleyes   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a couple surgeries over the last few years, and never had a problem.
I bring my machine with me, but it has never been needed.

You need to inform anyone who is human and has ears. Smile
Discuss with your doctor/surgeon, the nurses, and especially the anesthesiologist, who you will more than likely see right before surgery.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,222 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.