Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea
RE: Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea
Thanks. With general anesthetic or epidural?
Post Reply Post Reply
As a surgeon, I performed thousands of inguinal hernia repairs."Keyhole", or more accurately laparoscopic repair, requires inflation of the abdominal cavity with carbon dioxide gas. This almost always requires the use of general anesthesia and tracheal intubation. 

There are so called "open" techniques that can be performed under local anesthesia quite comfortably, especially if augmented with administration of an intravenous sedative, with an anesthesiologist or anesthetist monitoring vital signs and oxygen saturation. This is sometimes referred to as monitored anesthesia care. Regional anesthesia, more accurately referred to as epidural or spinal anesthesia, will temporarily suspend all sensation roughly below the naval. Again, the services of an anesthesia professional is required.

For my own hernia surgery, I chose local anesthesia with monitored anesthesia care. For a recent knee replacement, I chose epidural. On each occasion, I received an intravenous sedative immediately before the needle insertion, and have little or no recollection of any discomfort related to the procedure. I used my CPAP machine only during the first postop night, in the surgery center.

Sleep apnea is only one of many health related issues to be considered in planning surgery, and in my opinion, often of lesser importance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Epidural just blocks pain and does not affect breathing, you stay awake and breath on your own.

Intubation would be for general anesthesia if required to keep your airway open.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my back surgery, I told the doc and the gas-passer (can't spell the real name). In my pre-appointment meetings I mentioned it and was told to bring my mask, and not my machine as they had one they would use for the one night I was there. They also rigged a remote O2 sensor on my finger so they could track my levels. I think I slept all of about 3 hours that night.

When my wife had her fall and was in rehab, they had her bring her machine in and use it. It took them the better part of a day to check it out to make sure it fit their electrical standards.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too had hernia repair and my dr told me to bring my machine and leave it in the car. It would only be used if I spent the night.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I had abdominal surgery and was knocked out completely. The hospital had me bring my mask, but they told me not to bring my machine as they would provide a pap machine for me to use, as I needed to stay overnight.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
My tube, or intubation, was sent through my nose mid surgery while I was out. Anesthesiologist told me he had to do it without details. Likely my Central Apnea. Nose bled a slight bit afterward.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Often times if the surgery is expected to be lengthy, they will intubate you. The longer the surgery, the sorer your throat may be. I've had short surgeries without CPAP or intubation, and the hardest part is suffering SA when coming out of anesthesia in the recovery room. That is when I've requested that the CPAP be available as it makes recovery easier. Just bring your tubing and pressure settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
For my surgery they said if we needed the machine they would either use the settings I brought or just run it on auto. Interesting part was my mask didn't fit their connector. I couldn't really sleep anyways, so I did crossword puzzles most of the night and watched the weather channel. Only called the nurse when I really needed something and tried to do several things at the same time. Actually got her to bring me a cup of coffee at about 3 am and we sat and chatted while when she brought mine back and had hers. Slow night on the floor.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW when I had double kyphoplasty on L2 and L4, I used my ASV while the surgeon used hammer, chisel, and balloons on the damaged bones.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.