Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

He ditched his BiPAP for tape
RE: He ditched his BiPAP for tape
I wouldn't be critical of this video at all. The guy has had multiple tests, tried multiple PAP therapy modes and is now finding success using tape alone. Success as measured by data from his apple watch, reduction in daytime napping and improved dream recollection. He's couched it very much as an anecdote, with multiple disclaimers both in the video and text descriptions that people should seek their own medical advice.

I think we should applaud any one taking an active role in their treatment, and using a data driven approach, regardless of what devices they use and find success with.
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion.

Nice vid, good presenter, good youtuber, personal chap, excellent marketing.

Problem: lacking in data for anyone to make an informed decision as to whether they want to follow his advice (it does sound tempting, others on this board have also decided to give the cpap a rest for a while)

However, anyone wishing to follow his advice has already been cautioned “caveat emptor”

I don’t see there is any point in criticising him behind his back with millennial terms few of us older folk understand, without knowing where he is coming from.

I do like his technique of preparing his mouth tape: I feel I am always ready to learn something from others even I don’t agree with their morals/motives/incentives. I will add to this my cpap armoury.

Perhaps someone on Youtube should join his “channel’ or whatever and invite him to the apneaboard forum to share his Sleep Study and charts? 

Then we can see what his real motivations are.

Else, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

My opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Perhaps someone on Youtube should join his “channel’ or whatever and invite him to the apneaboard forum ... "

I didn't subscribe to his channel, but I left a comment inviting folks to the forum.

Like others, I am intrigued by the slotted tape idea, though I probably won't try it. I have a beard and I react to sticky tape etc, even the medical grade versions. If I have to wear an ECG for more than half an hour or so, I end up with itchy red patches where the pads were attached and they last for days. Hate it.

My post was intended to seek others who might have tried the technique. So far, no luck it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh excellent, we may get more traction!

Sorry to hear about the medical grade tape and your allergies to it, must have been a bit of tough stint with your recent visit to hospital. Just out of interest did they have any kind of tape you do not react to?

As you know many of us here, myself included, use mouth tape, but so far I have not considered stopping CPAP and using for example SCC + mouth tape only.

Were you thinking of stopping for a while perhaps. As you know Big Guy has/is thinking of stopping for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was fine regarding the ECG pads when I had the sinus surgery as I was only wired up for the procedure itself, maybe an hour, and the itchy reaction didn't last very long. I do react more to some pads than others, which my daughter (a nurse) reckons is down to whether the pads are the ones designed for longer periods of use and so are a bit 'stickier', or the short-term type. I don't know. I just have sensitive skin. I also react to hotel bedsheets from time to time, presumably dependent on what type of detergent the laundry uses.

I still can't breathe all that well through my nose, even after surgery, so I'm stuck with the APAP and FF mask. It would be great to find an alternative treatment though. I quite literally hate having to use that infernal machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Brazen;
In the 21st century, you can sell your snake oil over social media.
P.T. Barnum, 19th century quote, is still quite appropriate: “No man ever went broke overestimating the ignorance of the American public”.
Post Reply Post Reply
He isn't "selling" anything. He operates a channel which seems to focus on carpentry, building, DIY etc but chose to share his experience using BiPAP, much of which thousands of people would relate to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 818 5 minutes ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 376 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,267 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 773 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,782 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 414 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.