Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

He ditched his BiPAP for tape
RE: He ditched his BiPAP for tape
Sigh.

Actually, you prove my point with your "Karens" example.
It does not describe a strict demographic category but rather an attitude. (commonly pointed at middle aged females but not inclusive)

(But, yes, I did catch that attempt at an inaccurate poke.)

There is a difference in using a stereotype against an entire demographic category and using a descriptive word for an individual.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't calling you a Karen, so apologies if you were offended. I merely sought to show that petty labels don't strengthen or legitimise an argument, in fact the opposite.
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize for use of a descriptive word you find offensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2022, 10:28 PM)Brazen Wrote: It's my exerience that the stereotypical "boomer" term is used when someone thinks they know better than everyone else. That includes the medical community. 

When I watched the video, "boomer"  was not what would come to my mind first, nor did I think he came off as knowing more than others.   
I hope he ends up here on the forum someday so he can receive the help he needs.

With that said:  to lighten up the subject a bit...

I assume there are many "boomers" on this forum along with many from these groups:

Just some fun facts...or not.   Rolleyes

Baby Boomers: born 1946 to 1964. ...
Generation Jones: born 1955 to 1965. ...
Generation X: born 1965 to 1980. ...
Xennials: born 1977 to 1983. ...
Millennials: born 1981 to 1996. ...
Generation Z: born 1997 or after. ...
Generation Alpha: born 2010 or after.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2022, 08:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: When I watched the video, "boomer"  was not what would come to my mind first, nor did I think he came off as knowing more than others.   
I hope he ends up here on the forum someday so he can receive the help he needs.

That was my thought too, so I put a comment on his video pointing to this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tape can be effective as an accessory to certain categories of sleep disturbances.  But using it alone can be a dangerous 'prescription' to some categories of more severe sleep apnea.  We'll of course never hear from those (short-term or long-term) who got into significant medical troubles by using it alone to completely resolve their lack of air intake for their more severe situations.  

There are more than a few that have multiple conditions, that make them very different from the YouTube poster.  I'm all for freedom of speech of "this worked for me" but shudder at those who claim lightly (or more) that "this will work for you".  More than a few have perished for taking a pereived pseudo-medical cure-all.

Having said that, tape + xPAP is more popular than we think.  A sleep doctor once confirmed how a significant portion of his patients use tape as an aid with xPAP, though patients are often reluctant to disclose that detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brazen thanks for posting this.

I appreciate the comments that all have made. I start to think about my own experiences with OSA. I wish it was possible to buy a tooth guard and heat it and solve all my problems.

Reality is I can't tell if my treatment is working unless I feel better due to it. I know that everyone's suggestions here have helped me with my treatment.

My worst treatment came from the medical care I received in my country. In my province. It didnt start getting better until I learned to listen to the wonderful volunteers here.

Brazen your comments on my posts have really been helpful. Thank you.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Boomer, A nuclear submarine that carries ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads. US Designation SSBN.

The ultimate don't you dare weapon. With 16 missiles each with a classified number of independent warheads, each submarine could easily devastate a country if so ordered. During my time we had 41 of them, I served on two.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2022, 05:30 PM)Gideon Wrote: I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Wow, didn't know that nuclear submarines were called "boomers."

"Boomer" aka Baby Boomer Too-funny
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not just any old nuclear submarines, just FBM (Fleet Ballistic Missile) submarines.

FYI I am a part of the Baby boomer generation. I had no idea there was any negative connotation to the "Boomer" term.

Yes, I am a Bubblehead (Submariner)

MM1(SS)/ELT
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 674 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,585 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.