Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

He's alive!!
RE: He's alive!!
Great news Ed.  I good friend of mine had the same surgery a few years ago in Nova Scotia and he's doing great.  Except in his case, they used  a pig's valve.  Which on reflection, suits his personality pretty well.  Karma!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the successful surgery and recovery process. Here's to better days due to this major undertaking. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ed -
So that's where you went! Glad to see you back. Looking forward to seeing more of your 0 AHI nights now! Wish you continued success in your recovery.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2018, 03:07 AM)Hellodare Wrote: Instead of snoring in you sleep do you now moo?

No, but if I visit India I expect to be worshiped.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2018, 02:28 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Was there any change in your sleep apnea?

Not that I've noticed. But other things have changed, such as the type of insulin I'm on.

The nurses at the recovery center could do with some instructions on how to handle an APAP machine.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
A Mooving story!! Congrats on making it through and here's to a speedy recovery!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Fantastic! Congrats on living!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2018, 09:24 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 02:28 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Was there any change in your sleep apnea?

Not that I've noticed.  But other things have changed, such as the type of insulin I'm on.

The nurses at the recovery center could do with some instructions on how to handle an APAP machine.

Glad to have you posting again and better yet that you're feeling like a new person.  Keep up the good work.
How did the type of insulin change?

Maybe your stay at the hospital taught the nurses a little more about APAP machines if you happened to be able to explain how things work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2018, 08:52 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Glad to have you posting again and better yet that you're feeling like a new person.  Keep up the good work.
How did the type of insulin change?

Maybe your stay at the hospital taught the nurses a little more about APAP machines if you happened to be able to explain how things work.

Insulin changed from NPH to Lantus glargine - longer lasting than NPH so now I only have to inject once a day.

As for the CPAP, they basically only knew how to put the apparatus on and turn on the machine. They knew about nothing about APAP and didn't know the difference between that and CPAP. Of course it didn't help that I forgot my mask so they had to find one that sorta fit but the only FFM they found was too large and leaked like crazy the first couple of nights until I was able to get my mask delivered by a friend. Mainly I think they know the theory but know next to nothing about the practical aspects. Other than that the staff were wonderful and treated me very well, but don't get me started about the hospital food!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:59 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I just thought I would mention that on February 6 2018 I underwent open heart surgery in which my Aortic valve was replaced by bits of a cow valve and also four bypasses of my coronary arteries.

I saw the cardiologist Friday and was pronounced good to go.  An echocardiogram showed the new valve working properly and the heart is performing normally.  I have no chest pain on effort anymore and the rhythm has become nice and regular.  I can climb stairs without panting and feel overall much better than before the surgery.  The cardiologist wants to see me again in a year.

All free including the 1 week stay in hospital.

You got on better than my mate, he still puffs and pants going up a stair and walking.
He also had the quadruple by-pass done at the same time, I think they used a vain from his leg.
He also has the valve from a cow and has a serial number somewhere on his body of the valve.
He got a shock when they came to take out all the pipes that were draining him after surgery.
The nurse came in and grabbed the pipes and just pulled them out and let them fall on the floor.
I would have loved to have seen the look on his face when she did that.

Good luck with your new found energy.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.