Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Head gear help from ladies or long haired men needed!
Question 
Head gear help from ladies or long haired men needed!
I just started using a CPAP, last night was only my second night, and I am well aware that there is an adjustment period. Overall I think I'm doing pretty well, managed to do 6 hours the first night and 7 hours last night!

Anyway, one thing has been driving me nuts. I have a relatively small head and long hair. I'm using the Rio II nasal pillows, but having a lot of issues getting comfortable with the bands. Last night I finally pulled my hair through the two back straps, which helped a bit with the hair issue. But with my small head, it feels like the straps are spreading too far apart and I feel like the top one is going to come down over my face while I'm sleeping. It does have velcro to adjust this, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot to make it work. 

Should I try a different mask? I am interested in the Airfit P10 nasal pillows, however I'm worried that since they a stretch to fit, that they will be too big. I also only get one swap out with my current DME, so if I switch I want to make sure I chose the right one, or at least not one that fits worse. Any advice for people with small heads?

Also other than putting my hair through the straps, does anyone else have any tricks? I don't tolerate a ponytail while I'm sleeping, and my hair isn't quite long enough for a braid.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Head gear help from ladies or long haired men needed!
Try a hair net. Cant help you with mask choice. I have read the some people cut and resew their straps to make them fit better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe try bobby pins to hold the straps in place.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a "P10 For Her" model which has both a selection of smaller pillows and smaller headgear versus the standard P10.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I can tell from the pictures I googled, I think you want the top strap to go straight back above your ears to the farthest extent of your head. The short back strap should go down behind the ears and around above the nape of the neck. Both the top and back straps are adjustable, and the front adjustable straps should let you place the back strap behind your ears.

The above picture is approximate... I would suggest the top strap should go straight back, rather than up higher as in the picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
Order the "for her" version of your next mask. I believe the gear will be smaller.

You're doing the hair tricks I already know. It's all annoying. I find the P10 to be the easiest - I wear it spread out, with all my hair through the straps like a headband, and it's the most comfy and slips the least (of the ones I've tried). Seeing the pic above, I'd think this headband trick would work with your current straps too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received my P10 nasal pillows this week and it came with two clips to adjust the head gear. They were in a separate bag.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Janie,
I use my Quattro headgear upside down and get a better fit. Not suggesting you do that...but keep an attitude of experimentation and perhaps you can find some mod that helps you...like Gary suggested.

Regarding hair. What I do is to take a regular old cotton bandana draped over my head before donning my mask. The headgear holds it in place. Helps hold hair in place and also helps to keep headgear clean.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.
James
Post Reply Post Reply
If I ever go insane again and grow my hair long, I would put it into a braid every night. My hair grows really fast so I'm usually fighting the straps to keep adjusting to it. I like the bandana idea!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to try some of these tonight! It actually looks better with the straps on upside down to me and I can position it a lot lower on my scalp. I also got a large headband so maybe that will help keep it in place and keep my hair from bugging the crap out of me. Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 343 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 152 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 177 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 182 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.