Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Head rolling sideways during sleep
Question 
Head rolling sideways during sleep
Hi all

As the subject says, my head ends up rolling to the side (pretty much always my right side) while I sleep. I can only sleep in one position due to other health issues, so switching that up isn't an option. I'd like to stop it if I can, just to cover all my bases, even though it doesn't appear to make any difference to my sleep quality (after combining and comparing data from CPAP, pulse oximetry, audio snore/breathing monitoring and all-night video of my ugly mug sleeping).

I've ordered myself a soft cervical collar already (that should be here tomorrow) and I've also ordered a shaped pillow that hopefully will help keep my head from turning as much too, but does anyone else have any other experience, advice or remedies? I considered one of those travel neck pillows but honestly, they look even more uncomfortable than a cervical collar. I feel like I need the head restraint blocks that paramedics use to immobilise a patient's c-spine after an accident.  Too-funny

Very little of my apnea is obstructive, normally, it's almost all central, but obviously, if I can exclude chin tucking and head rolling as exacerbating factors, all the better. 

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Head rolling sideways during sleep
I think you're taking all practical and reasonable steps to curb this unwanted behaviour already.  Apart from crafting a headband with a blob on the right side so that your head can't cant,...(...sorry, had to do that...) or trying to sleep with your right arm up behind your head, I don't know what else you can do except to hope the two other remedies work.  It could be worse: you might be an inveterate stomach sleeper.   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Head rolling sideways during sleep
Too-funny

Honestly, I can't imagine anything more painful, but that might be because I am... encumbered in the chest area, let's say. I do miss side sleeping though. Ah well. I will try these things and see if they work. 

Thanks for the reply. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 341 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 222 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,416 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 376 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 484 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.