Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Headgear change out frequency
Headgear change out frequency
Sure this topic has bee discussed before, but I will resurrect it again.

I am trying the Resmed AirTouch F20 mask.  Noticed the instructions state replace mask cushion and pillows every month, Replace mask every three months, and replace headgear every six months (which I assume would include the mask and mask cushions and pillows).  Wonder if this is really necessary or just a Resmed revenue generator stream.  Although I am not a depression era child, my parents and grandparents instilled the "use it up, wear it out" mantra. 

For me I could buy the masks parts no problem out of pocket if needed.  But come on, every month, three months, six months - really??

Sure the foam and/or rubber will harden after awhile from use and facial oils and need replacing when excess leaks or not fitting, but why replace head gear and mask if perfectly serviceable?
Of course there is the "What me worry.... Medicare and/or my insurance pays for it"   I feel for those on fixed income or no safety net to pay for the pieces.

I love a good argument and stirring the pot.... Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Headgear change out frequency
It depends on 2 factors.

Condition of parts
How much can you tolerate in terms of ick

Condition of parts. Good cleanings, even better drying, and checking for damage regularly can keep a part alive for much longer than it probably should be. As long as leaks are good, seal is good, and it is comfortable. As long as it is clean. As long as velcro still sticks. This varies from mask to mask as each one has different parts to consider. Some headgear can last much longer while others just can't.

Ick factor. Headgear typically means the cloth parts and may or may not include plastic/silicone parts that hold other parts. You can only clean the headgear so many times before it just starts to not look good. Yeah, it may (or may not) be clean but...yeah.

My suggestion is to take advantage of the resupply schedule for a bit and get a good supply base. That way you can switch around on everything and help them to last longer. Headgear, in my opinion, is going to die first. So switching between, letting one completely dry between washings and use, will extend its life.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have yet to "wear out" any piece of my cpap. I have changed the pillows, mask, and head gear and have not noticed any change in performance. I have collected some spares in the process. 

I "rinse" the hose, pillows, and frame weekly in Dawn, and only use distilled water in the tank. Still using the original tank and it looks like new. (1 1/2 years old) 

I plan to extend the time on all parts to determine the breaking point. So far all parts "look" like new and function as designed. 

Ick factor? My only concern is germ buildup. 

Obtw,  filters every 2 months regardless of appearance. 

Should I be concerned about germs???
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
How often and how do you wash the headgear.  That was not something the RT went over with me when he set me up two weeks ago? 

Jules
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm well into my 4th month with the my F20 FFM and cushion. They still look fine. I wash the cushion daily to remove facial oils. The mask, maybe once a month. In my opinion the recommended replacement schedules are more for the benefit of the suppliers than the patients.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a vinegar solution in the sink to soak my parts in. It helps with what few "germs" there may be. The biggest danger in terms of stuff growing is in the hose. That is why letting it fully dry out is best. The rest you can see, the hose you can't really. I change mine often. It's really the only paranoid thing I have in terms of CPAP. Tin foil hat is another subject.

And yeah, change those filters. Depending on your house environment, consider changing them as often as once a month. Pets, dust, pollen, time of year, whatever - it can add to the stuff the filter is catching. Changing it helps the machine to run better and will extend its life. I live in an old house on a dirt road, have several dogs and cats. The house has high ceilings and dust is a life form. I probably could change mine every two weeks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2017, 07:03 PM)Juleslp Wrote: How often and how do you wash the headgear.  That was not something the RT went over with me when he set me up two weeks ago? 

Jules

As Paula said, it's really just based on the ick factor. If it stinks you probably want to wash it. Or maybe before it starts to stink. Wink

I try to be careful because I think harsh washing will make it lose its elasticity faster. I hand wash it in warm water and let it air dry.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The headgear on both my DreamWear and my P10 have both stretched out, and I've only been PAPing for 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
you will know when the headgear isn't working like it did, change it out then. I don't think there is a fixed time really
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The ick factor to me would be using the So Clean machine that just blows ionized air through everything and does not remove containments.  I believe there was a thread some time ago about So Clean pro and cons.

I will stick to mask hand washing, thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 31 4 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,713 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.