Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Headgear for Closing Mouth?
Headgear for Closing Mouth?
I'm trying to get used to the Resperonics nasal pillow but sometimes wake up with my mouth open. I've been trying to locate the headgear that helps keep your mouth closed but can't find it. Does anyone know what it's called or where to get it?

I'm still about 5 weeks in to using a CPAP machine and am definitely needing to work on what options are the best.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Headgear for Closing Mouth?
(08-19-2013, 03:09 PM)UpAllNight Wrote: I'm trying to get used to the Resperonics nasal pillow but sometimes wake up with my mouth open. I've been trying to locate the headgear that helps keep your mouth closed but can't find it. Does anyone know what it's called or where to get it?

I'm still about 5 weeks in to using a CPAP machine and am definitely needing to work on what options are the best.

Thanks.

have heard good things about the Purecom, PapCap, and Ruby chinstraps. dont use one myself. good luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi UpAllNight,
The headgear you are talking about is called a chinstrap. There are quite a few of them out there so hopefully, you can find one that works for you, best of luck .
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 03:42 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi UpAllNight,
The headgear you are talking about is called a chinstrap. There are quite a few of them out there so hopefully, you can find one that works for you, best of luck .

Thank you both. Yes, I did not know what to call it, so my searches of this page, the internet, and cpap sites failed to show it. Funny how something so simple can stump you. Been slow going on having my cpap machine work for me but gradually getting better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 has a lot of good user ratings for chinstraps. It might help to read how others are adapting to different brands/models. Another one to consider in addition to the ones mentioned already is the Respironics Premium Chinstrap. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember that cpap does not work at all when you breath thru your mouth with a nasal mask. When you breath in thru your mouth your pressure is negative not positive. Pressure swings will also wake you up.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get fully used to the CPAP device, you will find that you can get full voluntary control of various airway "valves". For example, with my nasal mask on and pressurized, if I want to I can talk, burp or even breathe through my mouth without CPAP leakage. As far as the CPAP is concerned, the airway is totally blocked for that period, since I have voluntarily sealed off my nasal passages from the rest of my airway system. Alternately, I can also open my mouth while breathing through my nose, again without leakage, since I have voluntarily sealed off my mouth from the rest of my airway system.

Fun things to try while trying to fall asleep. Smile Of course, this only works while I am awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 09:59 PM)genes Wrote: Remember that cpap does not work at all when you breath thru your mouth with a nasal mask. When you breath in thru your mouth your pressure is negative not positive. Pressure swings will also wake you up.
GeneS

Thanks. I started with the nasal pillow and after about a week realized that I was opening my mouth and it was waking me up. I didn't realize that it even had a negative pressure thing going on. My full mask works ok but since I am a closed-mouth sleeper by nature, I thought I'd try the pillow again but this time with a chin strap. Thanks for the info.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2013, 04:54 PM)UpAllNight Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 09:59 PM)genes Wrote: Remember that cpap does not work at all when you breath thru your mouth with a nasal mask. When you breath in thru your mouth your pressure is negative not positive. Pressure swings will also wake you up.
GeneS

Thanks. I started with the nasal pillow and after about a week realized that I was opening my mouth and it was waking me up. I didn't realize that it even had a negative pressure thing going on. My full mask works ok but since I am a closed-mouth sleeper by nature, I thought I'd try the pillow again but this time with a chin strap. Thanks for the info.

CPAP stands for Continuous POSITIVE Airway Pressure. When pressure is above atmospheric pressure it is called positive and when it is below atmospheric pressure it is negative. The air outside your mouth is 0 atmospheric pressure unless you wear a full face mask. Air normally flows from higher pressure areas to lower pressure areas so your airway and lung pressure has to be below 0 or negative to breath in without a full face mask. I hope that this doesn't make it more confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the ResMed.
Chin Restraint and find it works quite well.
Actually I have two of them so I can wash one and use the other.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.