Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Heading to Europe next week
Heading to Europe next week
I'm traveling to Europe next week and it's the first time I've been overseas with my CPAP. I have a PR System One REMStar 60 Series Pro CPAP Machine (ironically I will be visiting the Netherlands, home of Philips) and will be using a standard adapter that I've used on previous trips to charge my cellphone, electric toothbrush, etc. Will this adapter be adequate for my CPAP machine as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Heading to Europe next week
If by standard adapter you mean one that simply changes the plug pin configuration, that will work for your machine. If it's a transformer adapter that changes the voltage, it has to be rated for the 60 to 90 watts of the CPAP machine, rather than the 10 to 15 watts of most phone chargers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the 460 PR System One REMStar 60 Series Pro will run on 100 to 240 VAC at 50 to 60 Hertz, all you need is the plug adapter.

The Netherlands uses the 2 prong type C/F plug common to Continental Europe.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi novatom,
Have a nice trip and I hope it gose well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You do not have a problem - the power brick is adaptable to both Europe and us needs, only the plug needs either changing or a piece to fit over it to adapt it to European standards. That you can get in any travel shop. Or, once in the Nederland, just drop into an electronics shop, show them the brick and they will give you the needed cord (the airport at Schiphol has a few shops for that, very cheap, assuming you are flying into Amsterdamned).
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine will work in any foreign country, you just need the right plug adapter

Empty the water tank, might sound silly but some forget to empty the water and damaged the machine

Last but not least, make a list of items you'll need to pack and have spares

On your bike, you'll need one ... bon voyage

Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing - carry on please - do not put it in your checked baggage - as a medical device it is exempt from the "two (or one depending on the airline and travel class) carry one bag" rule by IATA, the authority over all airlines. If you need a form to explain that to some dumb check-in person, they are available from your doc, DME and even online.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! This helps greatly. I should have realized that the "power brick" is the key to a successful conversion. I will be using just the adapter for the plug, no transformer adapter.

As for the flight over, it will be overnight (which is usual for those of us leaving from the east coast), so this will be my first night without using the machine since I started in January but I don't anticipate too much of an issue because I barely ever sleep on redeyes anyways (even when I take a sleeping pill). I'll probably be a zombie for a few days as I adjust but I have plenty of experience functioning on little sleep.

I go to Amsterdam every year at this time on business and just marvel at all the bikes. Someday I'm going to rent one!
Post Reply Post Reply
All business and no fun makes for a dull time. So enjoy yourself while there and rent that bike!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a wee sandwich shop in Amsterdam that I remember as making simply the best sandwiches anywhere, anytime. Wish I could remember its name, but put me down near the Amster and I could walk there with my eyes closed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 461 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 179 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 207 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 673 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 492 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 553 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000
  First week of CPAP use, feeling lightheaded and off Dmussell 1 420 09-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.