Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] About to take test for Apnea
Snorax, if the test is a home sleep study, I'll suggest an alternative is Supplier #30. They offer a full home sleep test with doctor's evaluation and prescription service included for $399, or $299 if you use your own physician. That company is one of the few that will bill insurance if you have coverage. Take a look because it's probably at least as good and includes some services that may cost more at the company you are looking at.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP machines are really the only option
Surgery has very minimal and frequently would still need to use a CPAP

You can get a Tracheostomy
that will cure Sleep Apnea
personally, I would prefer to be a hosehead and use a CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2017, 03:57 PM)Whacked Wrote: CPAP machines are really the only option
Surgery has very minimal and frequently would still need to use a CPAP

I will agree with that if you generalize it to include APAP, BIPAP, or ASV as well.  Straight CPAP is not the best treatment for all apneacs, or even most.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Your brain is not the boss.

Post Reply Post Reply

Yep, I generalized it

I roll with a BiPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive been using my cpap machine for 7 months now and it hasnt helped me lose any weight unfortunately
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the weight loss that occurs can be attributed to not being so danged tired all the time that you actually do more. It can also reduce edema (water weight). I already had diabetes when I started and had very mild edema, but the edema went away after a couple of months.
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-21-2017, 10:50 PM)iamthesnorax Wrote: Hello,

Today I met my doctor for results of annual tests and such. She suspects I have sleep apnea and says it would explain why I can't lose weight and why my blood pressure doesn't go down at night.

She gave me the prescription for a home test which I'm about to do soon. 

I may be jumping the gun by coming here so early in the process but I'm curious about people's experiences with sleep apnea, specifically with weight loss. Did you find that getting the CPAP helped you finally lose weight? I exercise 3-4 times a week and am on a diet where I count my calories very strictly, can't lose the weight.

Is it possible I'm in a catch 22 about weight loss because of the apnea (meaning, can't lose the apnea because of the weight, can't lose the weight because of the apnea)?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

With me, it's not a calorie thing, it's a sugar starch carb thing
This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IB...D8&index=6

more info on  low carb
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

what to expect the first week, besides being hungry for the first 2 days, then it stops
 https://www.verywell.com/getting-through...ek-2242037
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] I got my Home Sleep Test results today. alarsen77 8 269 11-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Last Post: alarsen77
  Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure? Miastar 10 422 10-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Diagnosis] First sleep test AHI 61 Is this really bad? dumbusername 19 628 10-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  First Saved Data Test Hojo 7 234 08-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Failing air fit test with P 10 on ResMed Aircurve 10s johns019 10 514 07-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Last Post: johns019
  Sleep Apnea and Maintenance of wakefulness test Samelia 13 736 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
Ohmy PR REMSTAR Auto - how to mask test in Cpap mode? alo10 3 376 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Last Post: alo10