Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] About to take test for Apnea
RE: About to take test for Apnea
Snorax, if the test is a home sleep study, I'll suggest an alternative is Supplier #30. They offer a full home sleep test with doctor's evaluation and prescription service included for $399, or $299 if you use your own physician. That company is one of the few that will bill insurance if you have coverage. Take a look because it's probably at least as good and includes some services that may cost more at the company you are looking at.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP machines are really the only option
Surgery has very minimal and frequently would still need to use a CPAP

You can get a Tracheostomy
that will cure Sleep Apnea
personally, I would prefer to be a hosehead and use a CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2017, 03:57 PM)Whacked Wrote: CPAP machines are really the only option
Surgery has very minimal and frequently would still need to use a CPAP

I will agree with that if you generalize it to include APAP, BIPAP, or ASV as well.  Straight CPAP is not the best treatment for all apneacs, or even most.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I generalized it

I roll with a BiPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive been using my cpap machine for 7 months now and it hasnt helped me lose any weight unfortunately
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the weight loss that occurs can be attributed to not being so danged tired all the time that you actually do more. It can also reduce edema (water weight). I already had diabetes when I started and had very mild edema, but the edema went away after a couple of months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2017, 10:50 PM)iamthesnorax Wrote: Hello,

Today I met my doctor for results of annual tests and such. She suspects I have sleep apnea and says it would explain why I can't lose weight and why my blood pressure doesn't go down at night.

She gave me the prescription for a home test which I'm about to do soon. 

I may be jumping the gun by coming here so early in the process but I'm curious about people's experiences with sleep apnea, specifically with weight loss. Did you find that getting the CPAP helped you finally lose weight? I exercise 3-4 times a week and am on a diet where I count my calories very strictly, can't lose the weight.

Is it possible I'm in a catch 22 about weight loss because of the apnea (meaning, can't lose the apnea because of the weight, can't lose the weight because of the apnea)?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

With me, it's not a calorie thing, it's a sugar starch carb thing
This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IB...D8&index=6

more info on  low carb
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

what to expect the first week, besides being hungry for the first 2 days, then it stops
 https://www.verywell.com/getting-through...ek-2242037
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 87 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 209 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 879 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.