Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Another CSR Scare
RE: Another newbie concerned about CSR
Thanks for the advice. I saw your message just before bed and updated my settings. My ramp was on auto, and I turned it off completely. I increased min pressure to 7. Charts attached.

I had 2 RERA events last night for the first time, but still a decent night overall. This time the flow rate chart hovers around +/- 14.. what gives? Tidal volume is the same.. no idea if this is normal/ok or not. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look good. CPAPs, in general, improve oxygenation. Let's see what your Oximeter says and react to the facts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately the oximeter arrived and it's the wrong model.. the CMS50E instead of F.. and I don't think I can sleep all night with the device on my finger like the E.

While we wait, can someone tell me what data flags the hypopnea? If it's not 10 seconds without an inhale, then what triggers it?

Also, is there any way to tell from this data/charts in Oscar to figure out when you're in deep sleep or REM? I know it's more reliable than fitbit so I'd like to learn how to see the various phases if possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another CSR Scare
Hi All,

I've been on my Resmed Airsense 10 Auto in APAP mode since mid February of this year and have mostly taken to it pretty well. I had some CSRs flagged fairly early on and then went for months without one.  Then last night, I had another flagged..and after so many great nights and having gotten used to the machine now (seemingly) this one has me scared again.

Also to note, I'm 5'8 and overweight and my tidal volume is awfully low for my size, I feel. I'm still waiting on an oximeter (should be here any day) but my fitbit showed a very large oxygen variation around the time the CSR was flagged.

When I had my follow up appt, I mentioned the early CSRs to my dr and he 100% glossed over them saying my reports didn't show any recently. I'm not sure when to make a big deal out of it or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another CSR Scare
I would take anything related to the heart with a fair amount of caution and get things checked out. I am not saying this CSR area is actual or not. There have been reports of CSR being reported and are deemed false, again I'm not determining false or true for yours.

Do this: use this chart and zoom in to show 2 minutes. Let's see that as the flow rate pattern will be shown easier. Those that read the pattern will comment and then you know your answer. As I said, with my current heart issues, I'd find out if this is cause for concern, and then consider getting a heart check-up.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A little more info.. I'm 42 and generally in good health, even though I'm overweight. Never had a BP problem or other heart problems that i"m aware of and get annual physicals done. I'm due for one in July..  depending on these comments, I may need to move that up a bit.

Also, while my tidal volume is lower than what you'd think for my size, it's very often that low and my O2 seems fine (at least according to fitbit, eagerly awaiting my cms50f)

Here's the 2 min view.

Post Reply Post Reply
That is not CSR, it lacks the Central events at the nodes of the waxing and waning.

BUT ....
The waxing and waning pattern likely indicates that the balance of CO2 is likely near the apneic threshold.
Your numbers are good so try dropping the EPR by 1 to see if that helps.

I would mention it to your doctor but with only 15 minutes and no centrals I believe it will only be an information point.

FYI the first charts are more telling in this case because the overall pattern of breathing is more important than the individual breaths though it never hurts to provide a 2 minute detailed view.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, bonjour. I have a suspicion that even with low/good AHI numbers that my oxygen still may dip more than I'd like, which is why I've ordered an oximeter.

After trying to educate myself and reading a bit on this board, I've slowly been increasing my MIN pressure closer and closer to my 95% number. Just a few days ago I bumped up from 7.4 to 8.0. I very rarely have centrals. The last one I had was a single event on 5/2 (MIN pressure was 7.2) and before that, a single event on 4/26 and 2 events 4/25 (MIN pressure 7.0).

I have a bit of anxiety about going to sleep with the mask that I'm currently trying to resolve. It's disappointing that I may need to lower EPR as I find it very comfortable, but if you think it could help my o2/co2 situation I'll definitely give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an excerpt from the Beginners Guide to SH.

"A bit of PB now and then is nothing to worry about. However, there is one form of PB that is called Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) that is clearly associated with some forms of heart disease, including congestive heart failure. CSR is very regular and has a CA at the nadir of the cycle (although the CA may be mis-scored as an OA). If you have serious heart disease and you see a lot of PB scored in your flow rate data, it is worth mentioning it to your cardiologist as well as your sleep doctor."

"Once you know what PB looks like, you can often spot suspicious patterns by simply scrolling through the Flow Rate data in with a 5-10 minute window. Any periodic waxing/waning patterns will be show up at that magnitude. Whether this is worth doing on a regular basis is another question altogether. Unless you have a co-morbid condition that is associated with PB (such as congestive heart failure), PB is not something you need to spend much time worrying about or trying to locate in your data."

Here's an example of PB that may be CSR pulled from a ResMed machine:

[attachment=22991]

ataylor830,
Agree with bonjour, your graphs do not look like CSR, but for peace of mind, you could bring it up with your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I missed that you were having oxygen issues. This is why we encourage you (everyone) to keep ALL of you therapy posts together.

Should we have a moderator merge them?

Since you mentioned an oxygen issue.
Increasing increasing EPAP or PEEP pressure and normally this is good, but based on the 15 minute zoomed flow rate chart you have not only increased oxygenation but also the flushing of CO2 as well. Sounds good but you have 'improved' to the point that your CO2 has reduced to the point where you are about to stop breathing with a Central Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheyne Stokes scare....should I be worried Snowy2020 3 741 01-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Resmed Autosense - No Electricity Scare Zainabpb 14 2,280 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.