Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you developed type 2 diabetes?
This poll is closed.
Yes
33.33%
10 33.33%
No
66.67%
20 66.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Health] Are You a Diabetic?
RE: Are You a Diabetic?
(11-16-2017, 06:58 AM)Timur Wrote: I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic but am very interested in this subject since having OSA is linked with insulin resistance. 

Huh EEk!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2017, 11:11 PM)Kryogen Wrote: What logically comes to my mind:

People who are fatter have more sleep apnea.
People who are fatter have more type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance).
Does apnea really cause diabetes, or it's just there because of the fat that also causes the apnea ?
Is there a correlation independant of the weight?

Dr endocrinologist, anything about that in the litterature?

Thanks

There are studies showing increased incidence of type 2 diabetes in people with sleep apnea compared with people of similar height and weight who do not have sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
one cause of insulin resistance is increased cortisol. SDB causes adrenalin, and cortisol to be produced in greater quantities when your body is signaled by dropping o2 levels to "fight"

one cause of obesity is insulin resistance
one cause of insulin resistance is obesity

insulin resistance causes excess insulin which in turn causes storage of fat in the abdomen. abdominal fat in particular increases insulin resistance.

cells need insulin to make them permeable to the sugar in the blood which they must have in order to survive and promote the survival of you. Cells which don't get enough insulin send hunger signals to the brain. especially sugar cravings. Insulin resistance means that the insulin is not affecting the cells until quantities are increased, and the early symptom of this particular metabolic syndrome is roller coaster insulin amounts, and low blood sugars. the excess insulin created to make the cell walls permeable enough create the fat cycle, and so you see the person get fat years before they are acknowledged to have diabetes. There are a ton of fat folk (pun intended) who never develop diabetes. They are fat for other reasons than the metabolic syndrome described.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease RayBee 2 828 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Diabetic PAPers MobileBasset 9 2,399 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Last Post: kdmorris410

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.