Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you developed type 2 diabetes?
This poll is closed.
Yes
33.33%
10 33.33%
No
66.67%
20 66.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Health] Are You a Diabetic?
Are You a Diabetic?
While reading some quizzes on WebMD this morning I ran into this item that asked for a Yes or No answer: Poor sleep can throw off your blood sugar

Per the website: You use glucose faster during certain parts of your sleep cycle and more slowly during others. Don't get enough good-quality sleep, and you'll mess up that fast-vs.-slow balance. Some studies suggest that, down the road, this can put you in danger of developing type 2 diabetes.

In my case, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2001 - basically 5 years after being diagnosed with OSA.

Thus, I'm curious:
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are You a Diabetic?
PollCat,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2010 and OSA in 2012 I had no idea that there was any correlation! I did the Pre Type 2 deal with the Dr. and was not able to stop it, interesting.
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
Type 2, be sure and read my rant on "pre" diabetes. As Donald would say, that is fake news.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
"Pre-Diabetic" here. So far I've been able to manage with diet.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
imo... pre-diabetic is like little bit pregnant Big Grin

also imo, diabetes is not a disease, but a symptom. Several diseases cause it. Part of the problem with diabetes management is that we are treating symptom of high blood sugar without treating underlying issue that caused it (because they don't know that much about it.... hint: there are a variety of causes!!!)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I am an endocrinologist (diabetes doctor) and have have prediabetes.

Fred, where can I find your rant on prediabetes?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told 2016 that i had type 2 diabetes May 2017 sleep apnea. Been good on cpap regularly, my a1c is now 6.0 (high normal) down from 8.8
Post Reply Post Reply
What logically comes to my mind:

People who are fatter have more sleep apnea.
People who are fatter have more type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance).
Does apnea really cause diabetes, or it's just there because of the fat that also causes the apnea ?
Is there a correlation independant of the weight?

Dr endocrinologist, anything about that in the litterature?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic but am very interested in this subject since having OSA is linked with insulin resistance. 

There seems to be a sound basis that weight loss helps in the prevention of type 2 diabetes:

"Analysis showed the preventive effect of ≥5% weight loss, especially if maintained long term"

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article...ne.0057143

However, research also shows that SDB creates insulin resistance even in normal weight subjects

"SDB was associated with occult diabetes, IFG, and IFG plus IGT, after adjusting for age, sex, race, BMI, and waist circumference. The magnitude of these associations was similar in nonoverweight and overweight participants."

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/5/1001
Post Reply Post Reply
Type 11, however, I was told today I was down in weight and everything is where they want it to be.
I put on weight after I started CPAP?  Developed diabetes 6 years after I started CPCP?
So I don't know!  I am slowly reversing it, but a bit to go yet.
Funny thing is I am eating like a horse and loosing weight?
I suppose it is not the amount but what you eat?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease RayBee 2 828 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Diabetic PAPers MobileBasset 9 2,398 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Last Post: kdmorris410

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.