Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Arriving from foreign country, self-pay
Arriving from foreign country, self-pay
My goal at this form is to find a Sleep Clinic and doctor that understand the need for quick turn around and willing to accept Self Pay at the “noninsured rate”.
My longtime boyfriend has undiagnosed sleep apnea (it is so bad; I am unable to sleep in the same room). He has tried getting help in his country but the doctors don’t have access to the same technology (he is from a 3rd world country). We are returning to my home in Tampa, FL for one week of vacation and would like to get him tested and treatment started.
Understanding, I will be paying for this out of my own pocket because he doesn’t have insurance in the United States and we have one-week vacation.
Medical background:
Calvin is moderately healthy with no major medical problems. Intermittent High blood pressure corrected with diet and exercise.
Medication consist of an inhaler for allergy’s.
He works 12 hours a day, six days a week in a high-stressed environment.
He is not morbidly-obese, but has a BMI of less than 30.
Alcohol intake is minimal, with 1-2 drinks a week.
Back and side sleeper
He regularly stops breathing while sleeping and then jerks, gasping for breath.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Arriving from foreign country, self-pay
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Supplier #30 will do home tests and write prescriptions for a low set fee. You can buy equipment online and ship overnight or 2day as appropriate... recommend calling them as they will discount better on the phone sometimes. If you choose that route, let us know how it turns out, I am not certain any here have used this service as it is fairly new.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps another choice that requires a lot more effort on your part, self titration. is the #30 vendor CPAP Prescription Package, no office visit required, BUT you will have to figure out what the pressure needed is and do a lot more fiddling. Not real difficult, but you have to be willing to put the time in.
Post Reply Post Reply
The least expensive option is to simply buy an Auto CPAP like the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto, off of a vendor that will not require a prescription. Amazon, Craigslist, and other non-traditional sources sell this very capable machine for under $400 new. Keep in mind, your tolerance for risk in choosing a vendor as you won't get much backing. But it's perfect for taking back overseas. Similarly, you can buy a mask by ordering parts (pillows, interface, headset). Most suppliers will sell parts without a prescription. You have to decide what mask style is going to work. The lightest and least intrusive is the nasal pillows like Resmed Airfit P10. Some people however need a full face style mask, which is a bit more expensive. Again, you can order these.

An Auto CPAP is designed to automatically adjust pressure to the patient's needs. Using software like Sleepyhead, you can use the data capabilities of that machine to check its efficacy and optimize the settings. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

So for about $500 get fully equipped. If you want to pursue the prescription route, I'd just use your general (family) doctor. They can diagnose obstructive apnea based on the description you provided in your first post and issue a prescription for auto CPAP and supplies. There is no "magic" to a sleep study. It is mainly to confirm for insurance purposes that treatment is medically necessary and allows you to be reimbursed. Many patients diagnosed in a sleep study are issued auto CPAPs for self-titration (myself for example). It is very common practice. So, call your doctor and see what he is willing to do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2016, 01:44 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Perhaps another choice that requires a lot more effort on your part, self titration. is the #30 vendor CPAP Prescription Package, no office visit required, BUT you will have to figure out what the pressure needed is and do a lot more fiddling. Not real difficult, but you have to be willing to put the time in.

LOL...some men need over-watch...and he is one...I will need as much guidance a possible because Calvin will not do this on his own. like
Post Reply Post Reply
you will get all the support you need right here
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2016, 04:19 PM)PoolQ Wrote: you will get all the support you need right here

Thank you all very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Suann,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with helping your boyfriend get hiss sleep apnea treated.
Much success to him as he starts his CPAP journey.
Let us know how things progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2016, 08:33 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Suann,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with helping your boyfriend get hiss sleep apnea treated.
Much success to him as he starts his CPAP journey.
Let us know how things progress.

Tank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, with cpap (auto) higher pressures can trigger and/ make worse central apneas. So pick a range and the lower side (may be 6 to 11).

(as for medical access - I know Aussies visiting Uk can get (NHS) treatment. I think countries part of the Commonwealth have a reciprocal arrangement so it might be worth inquiring (depending on his nationality))...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bipap purchased in another country Lflowermoon 2 376 07-14-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed myAir data retrieval when out of country Rgn3 3 1,182 01-30-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Rgn3
  UARS - Different country, Same Story jmagic 7 985 12-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Last Post: jmagic
  New machine arriving tomorrow skylark 7 1,689 09-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: big_dave
Ohmy No decent apnea medicine in my country, please help with results interpretation! djrem3000 8 2,117 06-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Foreign travel with CPAP atk1031 6 3,517 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dakuda
  [News] Race, Ethnicity, and Country of Origin Influence Sleep Times ApneaNews 0 2,131 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.