Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Asking for help on stuffed nose
Sad 
Asking for help on stuffed nose
I am suffering from clogged nose at sleep for about six years now. I used to sleep on my side, and the side of my nose closest to the pillow would always be stuffed up. Even when I slept on my back, one side or the other would stuff up. It wakes me up now and then, with one stuffed nose when I sniff there is nothing come out just dry and stuffed nose when I change sleeping side the stuffed nose change side as well. I have such problem more than 20 days a month in average. Every time, I wake up with a bad headache, my eyes felt heavy and kind of red (my friends say were you partying yesterday?) And since I don’t have enough oxygen at night I always have a look of tiredness, bad mood not only the look but I feel as if I didn’t sleep enough. I always have to take pain killers on breakfast else the headach is too bad which makes me feel nauseated and throw up and have to take lots of cup of coffee to wakeup. I have seen a couple of ENT Doctors they say the opening of my nostril is fine and have no problem of sinus and can do nothing about it and just gave me different type of nose spray which doesn’t work on my clogging at night and cause problems during day such as nose bleeding, too much air through my nose the very next day (during day time) after I used the spray and rebound effect (stuffed nose during the day time which I normally dont have problem) after using the spray for a week and some others. I really felt hopeless for the past two years and stop spending my time going to doctors who fails to understand my problem and get me no fruitful help and since I was a student I just relay on pain killers and caffeine drinks to cop up with other students. It really affects my grade and student life much in a way that no one can understand. I literally dropout of exam since my exam was early in the morning and my headach made me outof service. It is just frustrating, I have no problem during day or when I sit or stand and just can’t get peaceful sleep when I really needed to rest, I dont snore or open my mouth during night as well, I dont even know what is my problem and what causes my problem. I am really suffering with no help. Please if you know something that help keep me posted, like type of doctor I should see since the ENT Doctors seem not to undertand me, is there anything in the world which can help me, I am from Europe, I really wanna know about CPAP as well or any other alterntetive which can help, wether it is effective or not, the side effect you are expiriancing, if I need to be examined to select the type of CAPA. Please write me if there is any helpfull advice you know. Thank you in advance Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Asking for help on stuffed nose
Hello, hiwot, and welcome to the forum.

As Paula points out, below, I should have realised that this was an allergy problem, but my eyes were too irritated this morning to allow me to think clearly. Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP use is for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is where the person stops breathing in their sleep.

Your nasal symptoms are not sleep apnea symptoms. A CPAP would do you no good unless you have sleep apnea in addition to a stuffed nose.You say you do not snore so what is causing you to think you have sleep apnea?

I'm not surprised they've not suggested a sleep test. What I am surprised about is that you have not seen an allergist. Your symptoms greatly point toward that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
you may or may not have sleep apnea but you need sleep study in a sleep lab
cpap therapy for sleep apnea ... not for stuffed up noses
see "Nasal Breathing Video Series" .... Commercial Posts
and read un-stuffing your stuffy nose (by Dr Steven Park) thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 01:43 PM)hiwot Wrote: I have seen a couple of ENT Doctors they say the opening of my nostril is fine and have no problem of sinus and can do nothing about it

Did the ENT order a CT scan of your sinuses? It sounds to me like you have chronic sinusitis. If a round of antibiotics, decongestants and antihistamines doesn't cure it then you should be a candidate for endoscopic sinus surgery.

You need to find a good ENT who specializes in this type of surgery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hiwot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully you can find a Dr. that can truly help you with your sinus or allergy problem.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 03:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 01:43 PM)hiwot Wrote: I have seen a couple of ENT Doctors they say the opening of my nostril is fine and have no problem of sinus and can do nothing about it

Did the ENT order a CT scan of your sinuses? It sounds to me like you have chronic sinusitis. If a round of antibiotics, decongestants and antihistamines doesn't cure it then you should be a candidate for endoscopic sinus surgery.

You need to find a good ENT who specializes in this type of surgery.

Hi Sleepster, Thanks for your replay. Yes they checked my nasal airways with ct scan, x-ray and indoscop but unfortunetly the result was normal. And I dont think it is sinus either because I dont snize, have no running nose or itchy nose. Thanks for your suggestion may be I will disscuss about surgery wihh my Doctor If I didnt get help here
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always suffered with a stuffy left nostril. It's really quite bizarre. The best nasal spray I know of is something called Rhinocort. Another is called FES which is a saline spray. But I too agree with everyone else, you need to have a sleep study done. Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
If you've got a recliner, try sleeping in it to see if it helps.

Try NeilMed Sinus Rinse. It's cheap and easy to try.

Good luck.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2012, 05:21 AM)hiwot Wrote: Yes they checked my nasal airways with ct scan, x-ray and indoscop but unfortunetly the result was normal. And I dont think it is sinus either because I dont snize, have no running nose or itchy nose. Thanks for your suggestion may be I will disscuss about surgery wihh my Doctor If I didnt get help here

My next guess would be a genetic flaw in the structure of of your sinus passageways. Something is causing those symptoms. A good ENT should be able to figure it out.

My nose used to plug up within one minute of my body lying down in a horizontal position. I would mouth-breathe while sleeping. The first ENT I saw said nothing was wrong. The next one did surgery and the problem was cured two days later when he took the packing out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 650 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 467 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.