Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Asthma and CPAP use
Sad 
Asthma and CPAP use
Hello everyone! I hope everyone's feeling great with their treatment.

I just want to know if CPAP use is contraindicative if you have asthma.

I recently had asthma because of the change in climate and for some reason, I think my CPAP use is preventing me from getting better. The Pulmonologist already put me in nebulized corticosteroid use but I don't think it completely fixes my asthma since I can somehow feel heavy when breathing. Before, I only had to take salbutamol tablets and not these nebulizers and I feel better after a week. I don't want to use any of those nebulizers because I suspect that it's causing me anxiety attacks. I stopped using the CPAP for almost 3 days now and I have to say, my condition improved. I read an article that positive airway machines aids asthmatic patients but from what I experience, it's not really the case but I want to confirm if there are people out there who knows something or experienced this.

I really wanted to ask the sleep doctor right away but she's only available on June 04 which is so far away and I need to know now if I am doing the right thing by halting my CPAP treatment. I will have to resume my treatment as soon as my asthma is gone.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Asthma and CPAP use
You must talk to the docs about this, but I think you will find out that cpap is helpful for asthmatics rather than harmful.

I just read a great article from Mayonnaise Clinics about how they studied critical intensive care admissions of copd people. When placed on cpap rather than oxygen when first admitted in intensive care the mortality rate went way down. Google "cpap asthma" and see what you find. I think you may decide to just wear the darn thing 24-7.

On a personal note, I have emphysema and one of things I really enjoy about cpap is my o2 level stays at 92-94 all night long. There are days when I can't get it to go that high.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had chronic asthma since about 1974 and been using a cpap since the 1995 and as far as I can tell neither condition/therapy affects the other. Just make sure you take the prescribed medications for the asthma and sleep every night, all night long with the cpap. I-love-CPAP
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another asthmatic here...no issues. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heat/Cold/Dry/Wet could negatively effect your condition. If your temp setting is low, try turning it up (or vice versa).

Many of my allergy related asthmatics get better on CPAP as they are breathing filtered air coming from their nightstand instead of dustmite filled air from their bedding. Opposite is true if not doing a good job of cleaning and ending up with mold growth in system.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had asthma since 1993, and have had no problems with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
asthmatic here, if anything it has gotten better since using cpap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asthma & CPAP MARrshh 4 917 07-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  [split] CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? ShhhImSleeping 3 1,348 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Asthma and CPAP Qs from newbie SleepyEdmonton 6 1,425 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,018 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan
  OSA and Asthma Beej 13 1,708 11-18-2019, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Does CPap improve asthma and copd? Solar Rays 11 2,791 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Symptoms] Triggers asthma everytime I try CPAP machine. Wondering if Alex or cflex+ would help Schtweety 15 2,736 06-22-2018, 02:54 AM
Last Post: yrnkrn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.