Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F10
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto CPAP Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 4-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Back pain

Just started trialling a Resmed Airsense 10 and have noticed considerable pain across the top of my back and between shoulderblades when I wake up in the mornings.
Found a number of references to this in a general Google search, but opinion varies as to cause. Some suggestion it will go away eventually.
Has anyone else had this problem?
06-30-2015 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

RE: Back pain
I had this when I first started using my used machine. It went away. I think it is caused by the fact that you are moving around less in bed and staying in one place longer. It was pretty painful for about 4 days, but much better. I got it AGAIN when I was without a cpap for a week (the used one died, but then I got my new one), but lasted only a day.
06-30-2015 08:04 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi bayrunner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
06-30-2015 08:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(06-30-2015 08:04 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  ...I think it is caused by the fact that you are moving around less in bed and staying in one place longer...

Bingo!
06-30-2015 08:45 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Also, take a look and see if you have changed your pillow arrangement. I found the upper back.shoulder pain when I first started and had to lower my pillows (don't as many anymore). Also, I do sleep in one position more.

Homer
07-01-2015 03:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Emmett Offline

New Members

Machine: Phillips repironics bipap
Mask Make & Model: repironics
Humidifier: repironic system
CPAP Pressure: 18/12
CPAP Software: Not using software Other Software

Other Comments:

(06-30-2015 07:27 PM)bayrunner Wrote:  
Just started trialling a Resmed Airsense 10 and have noticed considerable pain across the top of my back and between shoulderblades when I wake up in the mornings.
Found a number of references to this in a general Google search, but opinion varies as to cause. Some suggestion it will go away eventually.

I have been bothered by severe upper back pain and cramping of muscles after about 5 hours of sleeping with my bipap machine. I called my pulmonologist who suggested that it was unrelated to my bipap machine but I only noticed it when using the machine and it slowly resolved durning the day only to recur after using the bipap. I slept a night without the bipap and experienced no pain. I have been taking the medication Omeperzole daily for acid reflux and know that long term use of that drug can lead to magnesium deficieny which is essential in muscle contraction physiology so I discontinued the Omeperzole for a few days and started taking an over the counter calcium and magnesium supplement (Slow Mag) and the pain is resolving. I don't know why the bipap machine should accentuate my apparent deficiency in magnesium but my experiment seems to be working. This may not have any relavence to your pain but perhaps it does or will be meaningful to other members of the form. Good luck.
09-07-2015 11:43 AM
bayrunner Offline

Members

Machine: Philips PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto CPAP Machine
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F10
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto CPAP Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 4-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(09-07-2015 11:43 AM)Emmett Wrote:  
(06-30-2015 07:27 PM)bayrunner Wrote:  

I have been bothered by severe upper back pain and cramping of muscles after about 5 hours of sleeping with my bipap machine. I called my pulmonologist who suggested that it was unrelated to my bipap machine but I only noticed it when using the machine and it slowly resolved durning the day only to recur after using the bipap. I slept a night without the bipap and experienced no pain. I have been taking the medication Omeperzole daily for acid reflux and know that long term use of that drug can lead to magnesium deficieny which is essential in muscle contraction physiology so I discontinued the Omeperzole for a few days and started taking an over the counter calcium and magnesium supplement (Slow Mag) and the pain is resolving. I don't know why the bipap machine should accentuate my apparent deficiency in magnesium but my experiment seems to be working. This may not have any relavence to your pain but perhaps it does or will be meaningful to other members of the form. Good luck.
Spoke to my chiropractor and he said the change in sleeping position forced by having to wear a mask could easily lead to back pain. Basically said time should fix the problem. My pain is not as severe now but still get some. When I get up in the mornings I sit on a massage chair for 10 minutes and that usually relieves the pain.
09-07-2015 05:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

bayrunner and Emmett,
When I first started CPAP, I also experienced upper shoulder and back pain. I found it was because I tried to stay in one position. Also had a lot of tightness in upper abdominal area, which was from
breathing too hard. I was totally working against my therapy!

Once I figured out that CPAP was my "friend", I started to relax. I can't say I'm pain free, because I do have arthritis in hip area and moving around helps.

OpalRose
09-07-2015 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 34 13,747 11-22-2016 11:23 AM
Last Post: Dr_Romeo_Chair
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 181 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
Gross I AM BACK !! Lost53 15 1,052 10-31-2016 09:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BiPAP ST Rx: Back up rate=0 jgoole 3 233 10-10-2016 11:35 AM
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,075 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  My AHI keeps going back up :/ michaelba72 15 781 10-04-2016 01:18 PM
  Tooth pain, jaw shifting? achancesw 3 261 09-30-2016 06:54 AM
Last Post: Roy289