Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Back pain
Back pain

Just started trialling a Resmed Airsense 10 and have noticed considerable pain across the top of my back and between shoulderblades when I wake up in the mornings.
Found a number of references to this in a general Google search, but opinion varies as to cause. Some suggestion it will go away eventually.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back pain
I had this when I first started using my used machine. It went away. I think it is caused by the fact that you are moving around less in bed and staying in one place longer. It was pretty painful for about 4 days, but much better. I got it AGAIN when I was without a cpap for a week (the used one died, but then I got my new one), but lasted only a day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bayrunner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 08:04 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: ...I think it is caused by the fact that you are moving around less in bed and staying in one place longer...

Bingo!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, take a look and see if you have changed your pillow arrangement. I found the upper back.shoulder pain when I first started and had to lower my pillows (don't as many anymore). Also, I do sleep in one position more.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 07:27 PM)bayrunner Wrote:
Just started trialling a Resmed Airsense 10 and have noticed considerable pain across the top of my back and between shoulderblades when I wake up in the mornings.
Found a number of references to this in a general Google search, but opinion varies as to cause. Some suggestion it will go away eventually.

I have been bothered by severe upper back pain and cramping of muscles after about 5 hours of sleeping with my bipap machine. I called my pulmonologist who suggested that it was unrelated to my bipap machine but I only noticed it when using the machine and it slowly resolved durning the day only to recur after using the bipap. I slept a night without the bipap and experienced no pain. I have been taking the medication Omeperzole daily for acid reflux and know that long term use of that drug can lead to magnesium deficieny which is essential in muscle contraction physiology so I discontinued the Omeperzole for a few days and started taking an over the counter calcium and magnesium supplement (Slow Mag) and the pain is resolving. I don't know why the bipap machine should accentuate my apparent deficiency in magnesium but my experiment seems to be working. This may not have any relavence to your pain but perhaps it does or will be meaningful to other members of the form. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 11:43 AM)Emmett Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 07:27 PM)bayrunner Wrote:

I have been bothered by severe upper back pain and cramping of muscles after about 5 hours of sleeping with my bipap machine. I called my pulmonologist who suggested that it was unrelated to my bipap machine but I only noticed it when using the machine and it slowly resolved durning the day only to recur after using the bipap. I slept a night without the bipap and experienced no pain. I have been taking the medication Omeperzole daily for acid reflux and know that long term use of that drug can lead to magnesium deficieny which is essential in muscle contraction physiology so I discontinued the Omeperzole for a few days and started taking an over the counter calcium and magnesium supplement (Slow Mag) and the pain is resolving. I don't know why the bipap machine should accentuate my apparent deficiency in magnesium but my experiment seems to be working. This may not have any relavence to your pain but perhaps it does or will be meaningful to other members of the form. Good luck.
Spoke to my chiropractor and he said the change in sleeping position forced by having to wear a mask could easily lead to back pain. Basically said time should fix the problem. My pain is not as severe now but still get some. When I get up in the mornings I sit on a massage chair for 10 minutes and that usually relieves the pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
bayrunner and Emmett,
When I first started CPAP, I also experienced upper shoulder and back pain. I found it was because I tried to stay in one position. Also had a lot of tightness in upper abdominal area, which was from
breathing too hard. I was totally working against my therapy!

Once I figured out that CPAP was my "friend", I started to relax. I can't say I'm pain free, because I do have arthritis in hip area and moving around helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had this happen to me for years. I've been on a CPAP for about 13 years or more.  I first thought it was just the CPAP so had my doctor switch me to a bipap and it still happens .  I have to get up and sit awhile pain goes away in about 10 minutes too but this definitely not something that for me has ever went away as suggested by some it was just because you were a new patient and not used to forced air.  If anyone ever has this issue it's never stopped for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
While my experience is not the same location of pain that you're mentioning, I figured it's worth mentioning.

I get migraines, headaches, and severe pain in my upper neck / lower skull area when I use the F20, due to the headgear putting pressure on that area. I do not experience this with the headgear that doesn't anchor at that point (ie: P10, DreamWear, Brevida). I'm willing to tolerate this since the F20 is working the best for me at the moment. But if I have a migraine, I'm unable to sleep with the F20 headgear, so for that night I will switch to a different mask (with headgear that doesn't press on that area).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.