Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Blue light kills your melatonin levels
RE: Blue light kills your melatonin levels
(10-24-2020, 08:01 PM)becker44a Wrote: On my Linux Mint, there is a tiny application called Redshift.  When configuring, you provide your latitude and longitude coordinates, and a color temperature.  The app figures out the rest.  It visibly modifies the color balance on my LED monitor.  Very convenient, automatic.  Redshift is open-source, and is said to be available for most Linux distributions.

Thanks for that - I had never heard of redshift before. I just installed it, but when I ran it my screen became kind of pinkish (it's after dark here). I didn't care for the appearance, so I killed it. Others may find it useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
"my screen became kind of pinkish"

that's kind of the point. it's what happens when blue is reduced. it might have bothered me the first time but I don't notice it except when toggling the app on and off. I'm not sure but I think some apps will change incrementally as it gets darker in order to make the color change less noticeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 08:36 PM)JJJ Wrote: Thanks for that - I had never heard of redshift before. I just installed it, but when I ran it my screen became kind of pinkish (it's after dark here). I didn't care for the appearance, so I killed it. Others may find it useful.

Hi JJJ,
If you Google "configure redshift" you'll find articles on setting up Redshift with your own choices for color temperature during day and night times, and a number of other settings.  These can be put in a file named redshift.conf, and stored in your user profile structure.  The change is produced by manipulating the gamma settings of your display.  The changes are most visible when looking at an area that should be white.  On my display the whites turn less brilliant, and with a somewhat orange tint.  I think I fall asleep more quickly since I installed this tool, as I am often on my computer late in the evening.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
OK.... I think I'm a believer. Been making some adjustments. Thanks guys.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 02:21 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Windows 10 has a Night Light feature in Settings.

Yes it has, but it is not enough, I do suggest to decrease blue light levels to a minimum level. Otherwise, the screen works as an artificial blue light generator. Default blue light setting is for getting more customers for the shop environment. Not for safe home use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do happen to like the very pinkish/red screen I get with F.lux.  I took a little getting used to at first.  But I am one who likes to read in bed on my laptop and am also very sensitive to blue/white light that is typically given off with most modern devices today.

To each his/her own.......
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's blue light in many lighting fixtures. Although the screen contributes the
most, it helps to knock out all the blue light you can. After 8PM (arbitrary), I
wear a pair of blue-blocking glasses from Canada. They're on until lights out.
They seem to help.

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's also just as important to get sunlight during the day, without sunglasses. Having warmer lights at night is good, I just use incandescent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some computer monitors also have a low blue light mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am another Linux Mint (Debian Edition) user who recommends redshift. (And as stated above, you can tweak your settings in the redshift config file), And after using it a bit, when you temporarily turn it off, you will be amazed at how blue your screen used to be. Ick. No going back. I've used redshift for years and can't imagine looking at a monitor without it. Ditto for Twilight on Android based phones and tablets.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,495 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Melatonin: Yea, Nay, or other Rcgop 20 1,064 02-27-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,086 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,107 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.