Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Are you underweight, overweight or near your ideal body weight?
This poll is closed.
I am under my ideal body weight
1.01%
1 1.01%
I am at or near my ideal body weight (less than 10 pounds or 4.5 kilograms above ideal body weight)
21.21%
21 21.21%
I am overweight (more than 10 pounds or 4.5 kilograms above ideal body weight)
77.78%
77 77.78%
Total 99 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Health] Body Weight and Sleep Apnea - POLL
RE: Body Weight and Sleep Apnea - POLL
I'm not over weight, I'm just under tall. I brive a duss (we'll see who gets that one).
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, when I was still a young resident, I weighed 57 kilos and all muscle (I am 180 cm tall). Now I am an old, wizened (but alas, not terribly wise) doc and 101 kilos (down from my all time high of 118) - so how did I essentially add another me in weight? Simple, really? I ATE HIM! How did I lose 17 kilos in a short time? I stopped eating so much. Garbage in/garbage out. Simple rule, yes? And I only started to snore when my weight passed the 89 kilo mark, so for sure this a weight related problem in my case. Not everyone is so lucky. Many Apnoea patients have the syndrome not from weight (or not only from weight) but from many other factors far less easy to deal with. And for them a remission is far harder to achieve. I am one of the lucky ones - the more weight I lose, the more my pressure needs lower, but a lot of people here simply will never have that sort of option. *sigh*
Post Reply Post Reply
When in high school (which is the time we are supposedly at our "ideal weight") I was 5'10" tall and weighed 136 pounds. I ran track, played volleyball and walked everywhere I went. As an adult I started adding on weight after I turned 55. Not because I was sedentary, but because I was TIRED ALL THE TIME. I'd eat (mostly sugar and carbohydrates) just so I could "wake up" and "get up" and "get going" with my day. Frequent naps. Eventually I "topped out" at 185. Since being diagnosed with sleep apnea and getting on therapy, I've lost 25 pounds (in 2 years) without even trying! For me, I think treating my sleep apnea was the best "diet" ever.
:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 12:09 AM)Galactus Wrote: I'm not over weight, I'm just under tall. I brive a duss (we'll see who gets that one).

You are a short "bus driver"? Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 08:44 AM)MAPnea Wrote: When in high school (which is the time we are supposedly at our "ideal weight") I was 5'10" tall and weighed 136 pounds. I ran track, played volleyball and walked everywhere I went. As an adult I started adding on weight after I turned 55. Not because I was sedentary, but because I was TIRED ALL THE TIME. I'd eat (mostly sugar and carbohydrates) just so I could "wake up" and "get up" and "get going" with my day. Frequent naps. Eventually I "topped out" at 185. Since being diagnosed with sleep apnea and getting on therapy, I've lost 25 pounds (in 2 years) without even trying! For me, I think treating my sleep apnea was the best "diet" ever.
Hi MAPnea,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss,! keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 08:46 AM)MAPnea Wrote:
(10-23-2014, 12:09 AM)Galactus Wrote: I'm not over weight, I'm just under tall. I brive a duss (we'll see who gets that one).

You are a short "bus driver"? Dancing

Do you recall The Honeymooners? Ralphy gets toungue tied and insists he is a man that BRIVES A DUSS!!

But no I'm not short comparatively, just short for my weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
JM you didn't mention what color your 22" neck is.

I too am simply short for my weight. When I got married I was 6 feet tall and weighed 125 lbs. now I am 5'10" an d 225 lbs. thanks for the explanation. I have often wondered how I gained another me. I guess I must also have eaten him. What is strange is I have gained over 10 lbs since I started ASV a year ago. The previous 7 years I stayed at 215 +\- 2 lbs. that was before being diagnosed with SA and for 3 years on my S9 Autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm the right weight but the wrong shape. I was always the skinny guy and would still be if it wasn't for the spare tyre I carry around my waist. My neck is still scrawny so my apnea (which is about 50% central) isn't weight related.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 08:44 AM)MAPnea Wrote: When in high school (which is the time we are supposedly at our "ideal weight") I was 5'10" tall and weighed 136 pounds. I ran track, played volleyball and walked everywhere I went. As an adult I started adding on weight after I turned 55. Not because I was sedentary, but because I was TIRED ALL THE TIME. I'd eat (mostly sugar and carbohydrates) just so I could "wake up" and "get up" and "get going" with my day. Frequent naps. Eventually I "topped out" at 185. Since being diagnosed with sleep apnea and getting on therapy, I've lost 25 pounds (in 2 years) without even trying! For me, I think treating my sleep apnea was the best "diet" ever.

I can relate - I think I have been overeating simply to TRY and stay awake and energized. I am trying to walk about 1 mile every day (even in rainy Oregon USA) and eating smaller portions of better foods. We will see what happens. I have been on my APAP for a month now.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to overeat for the same reason I smoked. I damn well liked it! What's not to like about a hot fudge sundae covered in hot fudge and whipped cream? Who could hate a Jim Dandy from Friendly's or a half gallon of Hershey's Denali Moose Tracks? Or a package of double stuffed Oreos? Or a whole box of Chocodiles..... The list goes on, I am making myself hungry. Now all I get is a %$#&^% carrot. Who the hell wants to eat a 1 pound bag of carrots? Even if you could cover them in hot fudge and whipped cream they'd still be carrots. Grrrrrr Arrrrggggg. On the plus side I have lost about 100 pounds now, my next weigh in is soon, but damn it, not another carrot Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 4 794 03-26-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.