Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Central apneas can depend on the sleeping position?
Central apneas can depend on the sleeping position?
Hello

In my sleep study i had a AHI of 47 (around 39 obstrutive, 6 central and 2 mixed).

Then i started using an APAP. My AHI now varies from 2-18, 99% of them central. I watched some videos and
seems like that some of them may not be real, but anyway most of them are.

After some tests, I have the strong impression that when I sleep on my back the AHI rises. 

Does this make any sense? For central apneas the sleeping position should make any difference? If so, why? 
If not, what else could be causing such variation?

And an AHI <=5 is a good number? Or maybe should I replace my APAP with an ASV? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: thanks
Welcome! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apneas can depend on the sleeping position?
We learn a lot more about your therapy from a couple OSCAR charts. You seem to be using the program, take a look at our wiki on Organizing your Oscar Charts, and we can perhaps connect the dots.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This does happen and while I, and I'm sure Sleeprider both have ideas, it is always much better to base suggestions on the detailed OSCAR data than it is to guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. Yep we need to see some data to help us give the right suggestions. This is where OSCAR comes in.

Did the doctor tell you anything about your Apnea? Did you discuss test results, anything of that sort?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm attaching 2 days: a good (with AHI=2.82) and a bad one (AHI>13).

I started the therapy on last 02/09. My preferred sleeping position (specially with a mask) is on my back, so in the first days
I normally slept in that position. Then I had the insight to try to sleep on my side to see if could help and it did (at least apparently).

I think it's important to say that my sleep is still very fragmented (even more than before, actually). Curiously, 
i feel my dreams are better now, but didn't notice any other visible improvement so far. 
My BMI is 22 and I'm physically active (I run 30km a week).

I read another post and then tried to lower my EPR to 1 cmH20, but didn't notice a meaningful difference. If you have any 
opinions on how to minimize the fragmentation it will be great.

I haven't discussed yet with my doctor (next appointment is only one month from now). 

Thank you very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Part of the problem is that with a pressure range of 4.0 to 13.0 with EPR 1, your pressure is constantly changing. At 4 cm you don't get any EPR until pressure rises. When you used EPR to 3, your central apnea definitely increased a lot. I think you need to move your minimum pressure to 6.0, dial back the EPR to 1 and set a maximum pressure of 8.0. This is going to significantly reduce pressure fluctuation and disruption of your sleep, and keep you in the effective therapy zone longer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
given the relative proportion of apnea in your sleep study, you might have mixed apnea, which requires a different machine. otoh, you had a lot more obstructives and many newcomers to cpap get pressure induced treatment emergent centrals that will dissipate in 1-3 months.

sleeping supine frequently worsens obstructive apnea and it's possible you're experiencing them on your back. however, I think it's quite possible that ca may be worse on your back but I can't say why. just my experience that when trying to nap without cpap on my back or in a semi reclined position like in a car or airplane, I have terrible ca, at least at during sleep onset since I'd be unaware in a deeper sleep.

but again, if you're new to cpap, give it some time before worrying too much about the centrals. meanwhile see if the guidance you get here improves things.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd consider getting rid of the 45 minute Ramp that locks you to a pressure of 4. Even more important to nix it with the concern of the elevated Centrals. And not to be forgotten is the edits Sleeprider mentions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I already set the new pressure range as suggested. First night was a bit more comfortable. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you so much for all the responses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,523 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.