Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Consequences of not using CPAP regularly?
Consequences of not using CPAP regularly?
The past 8-9 months I've been staying at my girlfriend's house 2-4 nights a week, and thus not sleeping with my CPAP. I've got out of the habit of using it and wondering what, if any, risks I might be facing? Is it possible I've done damage to myself already by not using it?

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in Spring 2014, was 26 at the time. At the time I weighed nearly 270 lbs and wasn't in very good physical shape. Since then I've dropped down to 200 lbs and workout 5 days a week. At the time of my diagnosis my sleep doctor mentioned that if I lost weight I may not even need CPAP therapy anymore. The pressure on my CPAP is low, 6cmH20 is what the machine says when I cycle through, which I think is the pressure. The doctor mentioned my case was on the mild side but still enough to be treated. The lowest my Oxygen level dropped to was 87%. However I don't sleep on my back at home ever, never have, which is when my apnea was the worst during the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Consequences of not using CPAP regularly?
Welcome

That's probably a question for your doctor.

Congrats on losing weight and working out.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on your weight loss!

No one really knows if you have done damage to yourself, but time will tell. Untreated sleep apnea can over time cause a host of diseases. You are young and have mild SA, but it's still sleep apnea and will probably get worse as you age.

You could try wearing a recording oximeter to be sure your oxygen levels are not dropping.

The only way to know for sure is to have another sleep test done.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
#1 "However I don't sleep on my back at home ever, never have, which is when my apnea was the worst during the study."

This is exactly what I commented on after my study, how can they expect to get a true representation of a normal nights sleep with that box strapped to my chest, with our without apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2016, 10:30 AM)Phill Wrote: #1 "However I don't sleep on my back at home ever, never have, which is when my apnea was the worst during the study."

This is exactly what I commented on after my study, how can they expect to get a true representation of a normal nights sleep with that box strapped to my chest, with our without apnea.
I don't think they necessarily need a true representation, insofar as what they need to determine is if you have it. And back sleeping usually just makes apnea more severe. But those who have it to any serious degree usually have it regardless of position, it just gets ugliest when on the back.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2016, 10:14 AM)gcdawg55 Wrote: The past 8-9 months I've been staying at my girlfriend's house 2-4 nights a week, and thus not sleeping with my CPAP. I've got out of the habit of using it and wondering what, if any, risks I might be facing? Is it possible I've done damage to myself already by not using it?

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in Spring 2014, was 26 at the time. At the time I weighed nearly 270 lbs and wasn't in very good physical shape. Since then I've dropped down to 200 lbs and workout 5 days a week. At the time of my diagnosis my sleep doctor mentioned that if I lost weight I may not even need CPAP therapy anymore. The pressure on my CPAP is low, 6cmH20 is what the machine says when I cycle through, which I think is the pressure. The doctor mentioned my case was on the mild side but still enough to be treated. The lowest my Oxygen level dropped to was 87%. However I don't sleep on my back at home ever, never have, which is when my apnea was the worst during the study.

Given that it's over two years and you've had a significant weight loss, it's time to be tested again. Please call your sleep doctor (the one who diagnosed this condition and prescribed CPAP). If you can't see him (or her), find a new sleep doctor.

Meanwhile, sleep with you CPAP until then.

Post Reply Post Reply
you could get a new sleep study to confirm that you are not in need of treatment. Also, you could get an oximeter which would be useful for checking that you are not having dangerous oxygen lows - It would be especially good to have one in the light that once you know you are prone to apnea, it can re-appear easily even if it is not occurring at the moment. Given mild apnea and weigh loss, you could be alright now, but you should monitor it because left untreated, even mild apnea really damages your body over time
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gcdawg55,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should get another study to see how your doing with your sleep since you lost weight.
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.
You might reconsider using your mask and machine 'till you get tested.
Good luck to you, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First congrats on the weight loss!! yay!!

For overweight or obese folks under 35, very often, a significant reduction in weight can reduce or eliminate their apnea. This is because, with youth, body structures can often return to normal shapes (i.e. no flab). My sleep study office states that if you lose 50-75 pounds, you should consider another sleep study or evaluation. If you have a machine that works with Sleepyhead, you can look at your data to see what's up.

The biggest risk is tiredness. If you've been skipping using your machine, have you noticed the fog returning? If not, perhaps your needs have changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate to be blunt but here is a partial list.
Heart attack, stroke, early dementia from brain damage, Afib, PVCs, High BP, etc etc.

You get the idea. I already lived thru a few listed due to not being treated on a pap machine.
Up to you. You pays your money and place your bets.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the consequences of switching doctors fredkahan 7 1,191 12-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill
  [Equipment] Consequences of Pulling SD Card x3phillips 11 1,838 10-15-2020, 05:56 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Exclaimation Effects and Consequences of sleep apnea wolson 10 3,873 02-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia
  3 reasons to replace your CPAP mask parts regularly Mike1953 6 3,362 08-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Sleep apnea can have consequences... Wow moment. retired_guy 8 3,464 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.