Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: CPAP therapy has
This poll is closed.
reduced my cravings for fod
20.00%
3 20.00%
made no difference, I still have the cravings
73.33%
11 73.33%
made no difference, I never had cravings that caused weight gain
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Health] Cravings for Food
Cravings for Food
When we're tired, we get cravings for food. These cravings cause weight gain. Weight gain can cause, or make worse, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).

For people with untreated OSA, this can cause a vicious cycle. The untreated OSA makes us tired, we eat more to satisfy the cravings, our OSA gets worse, we get more tired, we get more cravings, and eat more, gain more weight ... Well, you get the idea.

So, did you have cravings before you started CPAP therapy for OSA? Did CPAP therapy reduce those cravings?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cravings for Food
Hey, Sleepster, you forgot one option: "I can't remember (back that far)." Laugh-a-lot oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
i was talking about weight gain, not food cravings with my primary care doc this week. i was asking if using the cpap would tend to cause weight gain. she said that it was the opposite. it would tend to cause weight loss. this tends to support the theory of craving food before cpap treatment.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't notice much either way... still crave coffee, still crave Coke Classic (not good for me as a diabetic, of course)... still crave pizza (thin crust), still crave ice cream (any type at all).

I'm a crazy craver, and no CPAP is going to stop me.

Whistle

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
No difference before or after the therapy just like to eat, drink and be merry and yep hard to resist the aroma of freshly roasted coffee

Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
Ecclesiastes 9:7
Post Reply Post Reply
I had these cravings at night, after dinner. They were totally irrational. I'd just keep thinking "What else is there to eat?"

They have subsided on most nights now, after a few months of CPAP therapy.

I haven't lost a significant amount of weight. Not yet, anyway.

CPAP therapy has taught me patience, though, as I slowly get better at sleeping.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought that CPAP treatment was supposed to cause you to loose weight as well. In my case, I gained 25 lbs. in about a month. I went to my GP, and he said that my sleep apnea was so severe that I used up so may calories to just function and that now with CPAP, I hardly need any calories to function in the same manner. In other words it takes very little energy to function now compared to a run-down tired, weary drag'n my butt, sleep starved guy that I was before. Just my luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2012, 07:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: For people with untreated OSA, this can cause a vicious cycle. The untreated OSA makes us tired, we eat more to satisfy the cravings, our OSA gets worse, we get more tired, we get more cravings, and eat more, gain more weight ... Well, you get the idea.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-Sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been craving sweets the past few days (on cpap 6 days) and traditionally, I'm not a big sweets eater. Heavens, I sincerely hope it isn't cpap therapy.

Suzanne
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery for OSA and UARS, help with allergies, food? Cblink19 0 583 02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cblink19
Question Artificial Intelligence: food for thought SevereApnea 0 697 03-21-2021, 01:36 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  AHI sudden increase from to much food? rich2905 8 2,466 09-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Maskup N. Sleepwell
  Article: Could a bad night's sleep make you eat more fatty food - Oh Yes! Sparkle 16 5,152 03-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  [News] Sleep Apnea May Spur Carb Cravings in Diabetics ApneaNews 6 5,062 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.