Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Distilled water storage
RE: Distilled water storage
Also another obvious thing is that as soon as the 1 gallon jug of distilled water gets opened it's going to start collecting contaminants.

Getting too OCD about this is silly. Every time I deal with an A10 humidifier tank I chuckle at how it is impossible to get it really clean because you can't even empty all of the water out of all of those stupid nooks and crannies.

Now I have really hard tap water. When I moved into my house I had to replace virtually every faucet within the first year. A water heater lasts about 7 years. I lost my first washer to mineral buildup in the solenoid. I buy distilled water in the gallon jugs because otherwise I'm going to grow stalagmites and stalactites in my water tank, but I have no illusions of sterility...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2022, 09:54 AM)Kafka82 Wrote: yes those in stores are there for ages - but they are kept close so no contamination. I think I will just try to make water more often if I store it. But tempted to use just the ZeroWater filter otherwise. I already clean the tank daily more or less.

Your assuming the distilled water in the bottles in the stores is sterile. As explained in the quote from me posted earlier in this thread by Sleeprider, that is not the case. The steam is condensed in a non-sterile condenser, collected in a non-sterile tank, and filled into non-sterile plastic bottles in a non-sterile environment. It is contaminated with environmental bacteria and bacteria shed from the workers before the bottle are capped. The caps themselves do not meet the sealing criteria to assure sterility. To provide assurance of sterility requires a rigorous process that is too costly for mass marketed distilled water selling for around $1/gal.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2022, 10:10 AM)upsman Wrote: I found this information helpful from sleepapnea.org.

1)"Is it possible for a patient to catch an infection from a humidifier? Research says, “no”. In fact, the environment in the heated humidifier chamber under most operating conditions is such that the majority of pathogens are rapidly killed.

2) Distilled water is cleaner and lengthens the life of the humidifier; there is no medium for the growth of anything in distilled water. All manufacturers recommend it. Depending on the quality, tap water is not necessarily harmful for use in humidifiers, but well water can be harmful to the chamber if there are a lot of deposits in it."

I agree that it is extremely unlikely that one could be infected by a humidifier but....

1) I don't know who did this research but it wasn't a competent microbiologist. Actually the optimal growth temperature for most pathogens is 30-35 degrees centigrade which is the temperature range at which humidifiers operate. The temperature would need to reach over 150 deg F before any pathogens would begin to die. Fortunately most pathogens will not grow in water alone.

2) There are quite a few microorganisms that grow well in distilled water. Fortunately, all but a very few are not pathogenic. Many have reported slimy colored biofilm in humidifiers. This results from the growth of those organisms.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2022, 03:20 PM)Melman Wrote: I agree that it is extremely unlikely that one could be infected by a humidifier but....

1) I don't know who did this research but it wasn't a competent microbiologist. Actually the optimal growth temperature for most pathogens is 30-35 degrees centigrade which is the temperature range at which humidifiers operate. The temperature would need to reach over 150 deg F before any pathogens would begin to die. Fortunately most pathogens will not grow in water alone.

2) There are quite a few microorganisms that grow well in distilled water. Fortunately, all but a very few are not pathogenic. Many have reported slimy colored biofilm in humidifiers. This results from the growth of those organisms.

But you DO agree that most pathogens that would be found in this environment would be too large to be transported by the water vapor produced by CPAP humidification. 
If this is accurate, then the concern about the water being sanitized or sterilized would be moot, right?

I often have a discussion with people who think it's necessary to boil the water they're using first. My response is that this would make the mineral content more concentrated due to evaporation, and is completely unnecessary.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Yuo, bacteria and viruses will not be carried in water vapor.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,809 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  CPAP Storage kimohare 4 345 01-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.