Tigerlily Offline

Members

Machine: PR System One REMstar DS150 CPAP Machine
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: TrueBlue Gel Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Diagnosed January 2013 -New to cpap - searching for my best mask and looking to buy a machine online

Sex: Female
Dry eyes!
I've suffered with dry eyes for a long time now.

However, I think my eyes may be a bit drier now with cpap, though I don't think I'm getting a lot of leaks around the eyes...?

I did have flaky skin on my eyelid this morning and that never happened prior to cpap.

Eyedrops I use currently are OTC allergy drops (up to twice a day) and moisturizing RHOTO? drops (once or twice a day).

Neither does a fabulous job though. Eyes still are always bloodshot and burn often.

Anyone else have dry eye problem? Have you found an incredible product that truly helps?

~ Tigerlily ~
03-06-2013 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: Dry eyes!
Eye irritation is often caused by air leaks from your mask
You want the mask to seal well around the nose and cheeks and not leaking your into your eyes

I don,t use your mask but this might be some help to you, True Blue, finding the right fit
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...itting.wpd
03-06-2013 11:31 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Tigerlily,
It seems to me like there is something called artificial tears or something like that, you could "google" it and see what you come up with.
Hope this helps.
Hang in there for more suggestions, I'm sure someone will be able to help soon.

trish6hundred
03-07-2013 12:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I've used drops for dry eyes but best get examined by optometrist to make sure there is no underlying condition
03-07-2013 04:43 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Outside of the eyes being exposed to a steady stream leak from the mask, there is no conceivable reason that using a CPAP could cause the condition you describe. If there isn't a strong leak (and you would feel that, surely, since it would have to be a pretty sizeable amount of steady leakage for it to do such a thing) and your exhaust ports aren't blowing up at your eyes, then you have to look at other possible causes, and seeing an ophthalmologist would be a first step (second being a dermatologist). There are a number of conditions that would fit your symptoms, and once air leakage is eliminated, you must look at those possibilities.
03-07-2013 05:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I have dry eyes as well and use Systane eye lubrication drops. I love that stuff.

And air into my eyes is why I could not find a nasal mask that worked for me. They all leaked there and I got an eye infection.

Wilorg, I didn't feel the leaks, it was the noise that would wake me and then I'd feel it.

Still, see your eye doc. He/she could help determine what the cause. Eye lubrication drops will NOT help if the mask is leaking into your eyes.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-07-2013 09:02 PM
Tigerlily Offline

Members

Machine: PR System One REMstar DS150 CPAP Machine
Mask Make & Model: TrueBlue Gel Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments: Diagnosed January 2013 -New to cpap - searching for my best mask and looking to buy a machine online

Thanks. I do plan on seeing an eye Dr. in the next few months. I think allergies could be contributing as well as my eyes are just killing me right now!

~ Tigerlily ~
03-07-2013 11:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

There are some neurological links between the nose and the eyes. Think of how your eyes water when you need to sneeze. Maybe the changes in your nose have an effect on how your eyes water.

There's also a nasolacrimal duct that runs from your eye to your nose. It helps tears drain out of your eyes. Pressure in the nose might effect the operation of this duct and affect your eyes. However, it would seem that, if anything, it would stop the tears from draining out of your eyes and cause your eyes to be watery.

Unfortunately, these ideas don't give me a good idea how to fix the problem.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-12-2013 05:40 AM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(03-07-2013 11:20 PM)Tigerlily Wrote:  ... my eyes are just killing me right now!

Hi Tigerlily,

In your other thread "Use of facial lotions etc" you mentioned,

"At night I usually will put on an exfoliant cream and moisturizer."

It may be a good idea to completely stop the exfoliant cream for two weeks, to see if that is a major contributor to the problem. (Not even touch the bottle.) And to wash the mask well with soap daily so any exfoliant it has absorbed will be removed and not transferred back onto your face.

Maybe extremely minute amounts of exfoliant are managing to somehow migrate to your eyes, contributing to the irritation.

Another thing may be to always wash our fingers very well with soap and water before touching our eyes. Our fingers gather millions of bacteria every time we touch a door knob or most anything at all.

I've slowly learned that, whenever possible, I need to completely avoid touching my eyes at all, except to gently wash and rinse well the outsides of the eyelids before putting in eye drops. (If the eyelids are not clean, drops can get on the eyelids and wash stuff into my eyes.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 01:42 PM by vsheline.)
03-13-2013 01:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
BigMark Offline

New Members

Machine: REMstar Pro 460P
Mask Make & Model: Respironics ComfortGel
Humidifier: REMStar Pro 460P
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments:

I've had the same problem with dry/burning eyes and brought it up at my annual eye exam last week. The optometrist was able to determine that my eyes were dry, but it wasn't severe enough for a prescription (thank God!). He gave me samples of Systane drops: gel drops for use at bed time and regular drops for mornings. One week later, they seem to be working well.

Something else to consider is that while your mask would seem the likely culprit, other things can contribute to your dry eyes. For me, it was a move to a different office with horrible flourescent lighting over my four computer monitors. We tend to stare at computer monitors and learning to blink more often can help.

Mark
03-14-2013 07:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simplus FFM Pulls Upwards to Eyes During Sleep SleepySleeps 7 419 09-27-2016 03:14 AM
Last Post: rich2905
  Fragmented Sleep help request and I know the Eyes have it! :) icyura10 5 352 08-25-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long dawoodsman 7 1,088 04-02-2016 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ed1101
  CPAP, dry eyes and Restasis ISnoreBadly 7 715 02-23-2016 03:38 PM
Last Post: ISnoreBadly
  Terribly Dry Eyes Geniale 9 889 02-18-2016 04:06 PM
Last Post: green wings
Surprised eyes and face puffy snoopygirl 3 918 01-14-2016 07:12 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Airfit N10 leaks into eyes fractalice 15 3,741 01-04-2016 09:00 AM
Last Post: Dagmar