Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Earbuds to help with tinnitus?
Question 
Earbuds to help with tinnitus?
I'm a life-long tinnitus sufferer. It gets worse in the evening and by bedtime I have two or three piccolos screaming away - bad for getting to sleep. It spoils classical music concerts, too.

I've seen the new Bose Sleep Buds, but they seem mainly to insulate you against external noises such as traffic, or a snoring partner. Has anybody tried the Bose or any other earbuds as a masking agent for tinnitus with any success?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Earbuds to help with tinnitus?
I too have a lifelong affliction with ringing ears. Anytime I use earbuds, ear plugs or ear muffs, the ringing is more pronounced. Only thing that works for me is something to listen to that distracts from the ringing. I have a radio that I listen to at night,, usually a podcast story teller or historical commentary. I used to use a pillow speaker but it failed and I've yet to replace it. After starting CPAP, I fall asleep much faster and the tinnitus bugs me sometimes, but not for as long as it used to.

Also forgot to mention that most earbud designs make my ear incredibly sore after long wear.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB, alas, they won't do a thing for you.  They only sense ambient, outside-the-ear, recurrent or persistent noise and use software to generate a nullifying frequency of opposing amplitude.  They can quiet your surroundings, but not what is generated by your brain.

I, too, have tinnitus.  There are few times I can detect it if I want to, but thankfully for me, it is unobtrusive 98% of the time.  Occasionally it gets loud for a short burst of maybe 15 seconds, but now, sitting here, the frequency is so high it's almost imperceptible.

I wonder if outer sounds might be BETTER after all.  I sit at a PC much of the day (retired, broke, disaffected, and much to cranky to be let off my leash).  The fan noise is more prevalent, or omnipresent maybe, when I am doing nuthin'. 

I am unsure, but I think spikes in BP might cause tinnitus to flare.  If classical music serves to soothe your savage beast...I mean breast... (cough), or if a hobby holds intense interest for you, you can distract your brain from 'hearing' the tinnitus quite so much.  At least, that's what works for me...keep my feeble brain active and looking at shiny things.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have it as well. Have had for many, many years. Mine is more of a hissing sound, that changes pitch and tone at times. 

I've become accustomed to it, so it really doesn't bother me all that much. Even while in bed and all is quiet, I deal with it subconsciously. 

The only time it begins to bother me, is when I'm thinking about it. Having said that, it's time to bring this post to a close.  Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
There are some hearing aids that allegedly help. I'm still doing research. A new one by a company called Widex sounds promising.

Most buds block sound from the outside which can make the tinnitus seem louder.

I've tried all sorts of things to get it to shut up long enough for me to fall asleep (although some nights I dream there is an alarm going off in the distance). But the best is to just put my phone under my pillow, face down, and play either music (Muriel Anderson's "Nighttime/Daylight" album is my go-to right now) or noise (The White Noise app by TMSoft is awesome; "pink" noise drowns out my high pitched tone as long as I don't use it too often).

The pillow muffles it enough that it doesn't bother SWMBO but it comes right through the pillow to me. (note: I use a buckwheat pillow)
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the input.

Quote:Most buds block sound from the outside which can make the tinnitus seem louder.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. However the Bose SleepBuds, and one or two others I've seen mentioned, generate sound which is supposed to mask the external noise. I've read that this can be used to mask tinnitus but there are very mixed reviews. Apparently the Bose can generate white and pink noise, waves crashing, wind in the trees, etc.

I don't have a hearing problem so I don't need a hearing aid, but a tinnitus-cancelling earbud would be a godsend. Ideally something that I could tune to the same frequency as the tinnitus but 180 degrees out of phase. In the meantime I might try the phone-under-the-pillow trick.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
When it is really bad, and I am contemplating sticking chopsticks in my ears, I use pink noise.

Instead of forking over tons of money to Bose, use whatever buds are comfortable for you and plug into phone.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I tried the phone-under-the-pillow last night using the TMSoft app. Seemed to work reasonably well, until the phone battery died.

Quote:Instead of forking over tons of money to Bose, use whatever buds are comfortable for you and plug into phone.

The wireless buds appeal, as I don't really want another thing to get tangled up with my hose and headgear.

Quote: I am contemplating sticking chopsticks in my ears

I hadn't thought of that - it is an option!
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
I also have tinnitus and a Widex hearing aid. My digital hearing aid has a program setup on my hearing aid by the Audiologist from whom I bought the hearing aid. The program mainly has a musical note about in the middle of my hearing frequency that plays softly in the background. I guess it gives my brain something to listen to besides the infernal ringing in my ear. I am luckier than most, sort of, because I am deaf in one ear so that ear's job is to help hold up my eyeglasses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the Widex is what I have been considering. I need to see an audiologist to see if one would help. I have high tone hearling loss in one ear.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.